Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Career advice – are there any surface engineers/ tribologists on STW?
  • HansRey

Hi,

This may be a long shot. Is there anyone who works in/with surface engineering or tribology on STW? In short, I’m looking to return to the UK and I could do with some advice about the state of the jobs market at the moment, in those fields.

For what it’s worth, I’m 25 with a Materials Science M.Eng and with 5 years industrial experience having worked in the UK, Netherlands and Finland.

Cheers,
    HR

HansRey

lunch break bump!

tommytowtruck

I’m not sure about jobs in surface engineering specifically, but there are certainly jobs in materials/metallurgy about. Materials world website is worth a look.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I keep getting emails from taylor Hobson, they have always sent emails asking if I’m free for contract jobs ,there’s openings there for good people

marko75
    Free Member

Hi there, surface engineering is pretty specific and as such you will only find those roles in very large companies, Rolls Royce, Siemans, Bodycote etc. Tribology is even more specific but if you have done some corrosion work (tribocorrosion) then thats starting to get popular within the oil and gas industry (corrosion people tend to get well paid in oil and gas but thats mainly based in Scotland).

I would initially look for material engineer positions unless you go directly to the very large corporations. An alternative idea is that there are some consultancy jobs being banded about in the london area that you could go for. Materials World is an option but linked in and online job recruitment sites work well.

Hope this helps

HansRey

Thanks Marko75 and Tommytowtruck, I hadn’t heard of materialsworld. I’ll have a look.

I see your point about looking at the big firms. From what I’ve experienced outside of the UK in minerals/mining, big firms are beginning to listen to their tribo guys and invest in that area. I’ll ask around, perhaps they’re willing to divulge 😀

Mickmcd – thanks! I’ll look into that. Contract work doesn’t sound great but it’s a start.

are there any specific funding calls or portals opening up, related to engineering? Say, a research fellowship or KTP position with a university

parkesie
    Free Member

?

mickmcd
    Free Member

Hansrey, its only contract because I know they cant find permanent staff,
    When i worked down at the AMRC there was a chap called Tom Slatter who headed Sheffield Uni tribology department might be worth enquiring with him, he worked with a few companies one called tribosonics again you could speculatively approach? He might also have leads into

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Career advice – are there any surface engineers/ tribologists on STW?’ is closed to new replies.