Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Career advice,
  • adviceplease
    Free Member

Long term poster under a pseudonym.

Would you rather be in a role with lots of dull moments and a few exciting moments and at the top of the ladder; or in a role where you are challenged every day with lots of potential to move up.

I think I know the answer to this but would appreciate any advice you have.

ecksee
    Free Member

Having been in both, the latter option is by far the best for me. Depends on what motivates you though, money or job satisfaction.

MoreCashThanDash

Been in the first option for the last 10 years. Great while the kids were small, great work life balance.

About to move to option 2. Totally new role in a busy environment. Starting to feel the fear, hoping it gives me a chance to develop a career again.

Depends where in life you are, and what you want out of work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    midlifecrashes

I’m actually going jobhunting today. Option 1 every time. Sure, I’d like to be interested and challenged every day, but the only reason I’m gong jobhunting is because of money. Kids about to start Uni, and want to make sure they (or we) don’t go short. My CV is a bit odd with nearly 18 years of self employment since my last proper job, so we’ll see how it goes.

BigJohn

Not a direct answer to the original question, but:

What most people think they want when they have a job (or situation) that they’re completely peed off about is a total change. From black to white.

What they really need is usually something remarkably similar to the old one with a few of the crap bits taken out and a bit more of the good stuff added in.

adviceplease
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys!

midlifecrashes more money in option 2 if that makes a difference.

BigJohn that’s a very interesting point, I initially thought I wanted something massively different and looked for unusual roles but actually I have ended up interviewing for positions roughly similar to what I have always done.

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends on your situation. Option 1 would bore me. It would be a nice option for turning up, getting paid and going home. I can see how that would appeal to some people. Much rather my days were a bit more interesting even if that means harder work.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate of mine has swapped boring public sector for challenging and well paid private sector.

From his comments last night after a few miles and a couple of pints, the novelty is wearing off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

both, neither, all at the same time.

It really depends what day of the week it is and who I’m dealing with. Then come the 15th it’s about what goes into the bank.

I love the freedom my new job has, I hate the fluctuating pay cheque. At times I’d walk straight back into a 37hr lay back chill out job others I’d never go near.

It’s all up to you and your circumstance

BigJohn

Glad to be of help. But as I’m now a self employed (and self-taught) furniture maker following a long career as an enterprise software salesman you should take it with a pinch of salt.

But in fairness, there’s an ageist policy in IT companies (who wants a 61 year old bloke coming to tell them how to harness the new software paradigm?) and I think there are loads of parallels in the 2 roles.

Just not quite enough parallels in my finished pieces though 😳

peterfile
    Free Member

Long term poster under a pseudonym.

Why the pseudonym? 🙂

igm

It’s Chips

peterfile
    Free Member

The thought did cross my mind haha

Alternatively, it’s someone who has us convinced of their hugely successful and exciting career and doesn’t want us to know that they’re actually bored shitless 🙂

hooli

I think it depends where you are in your life and what your priorities are.

When I was a bit younger, I wanted option 2. Now I have young kids, I have changed my mind a bit and now aim for option 1. When the kids grow up and need less of my time, it will probably change again.

midlifecrashes

midlifecrashes more money in option 2 if that makes a difference.

Ah, halfway up a taller ladder, go for it. Job security if you’re the main breadwinner will always be a big consideration, too. I assume the potential new role is ok in that regard.

brassneck

Option 1 everytime – I get my fulfilment with the family and outside of work.. it just pays for shiny things and a house really.

Job security if you’re the main breadwinner will always be a big consideration, too

True that. Certainly why I turned down a couple of opportunities.

SammyC
    Free Member

I’d just want to be happy. What that means to you only you can answer.

For me, that means working part time and having the freedom to spend time doing what I want to do with my kids rather than grubbing up the corporate ladder. Nothing against that if that’s what you want but its just not for me.

hairyscary

Option one for me…..although I have absolutely no exciting moments. My motivation is to do my job with as little stress or hassle as possible, go home and not think about work.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Neither. My motivation isn’t about climbing ladders or being at the top.

Just want a bit of challenge, interesting, and get paid well for it. The ladder means having to become a manager and deal with shit to get paid enough.

So, went freelance. Be your own boss, potentially get paid well, arrange your own salary/expenses/holidays etc (and have certain tax benefits 😉 ), and can continue doing actual interesting work but not have to manage people, suck up to the boss, or deal with office politics and follow corporate rules (in theory).

Downside is it’s not a stable job. Though plan for days/weeks/months on the bench and you iron it out, and get a chunk of time off.

Though being in IT I found quickly that permanent jobs aren’t stable anyway and the whole redundancy process is a stressful experience (though sometimes profitable). Freelance/contracting you can be out the door quick, which is both good and bad.

Above all though, my priority is my life and enjoying it. Work provides the money that’s all. Unless my work could involve bikes 😀

freeagent
    Free Member

Option 1 for me at the moment – while the kids are small etc.
    FFWD 7-8 years and i’ll be looking for an option 2 again.

In my game option 2 means loads of overseas travel, and that isn’t what I want at the moment.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Career advice,’ is closed to new replies.