• This topic has 302 replies, 270 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 303 total)
  • Care to explain your choice of username?
  • legend
    Free Member

Needed a damper urgently, needed a username, had just been watching these:

cheese@4p

I’m lazy

aa
    Free Member

a because of the road club I was in
    a because I used to wear briko zen sunglasses that made me look like an alien (apparently)
    So, ashbyalien.

somafunk

Soma from one of my fav record labels soma records and also from my fav book : Aldous Huxley – Brave New World where Soma is the state-sanctioned anaesthetising drug of choice to aid with everyday ills

“All the advantages of Christianity and alcohol; none of their defects….”Swallowing half an hour before closing time, that second dose of soma had raised a quite impenetrable wall between the actual universe and their minds.”

….and funk from how we used to describe that mid sunday afternoon feeling in the pub after clubbing all night at the sub club/arches/soundhaus then onto various after parties in Glasgow.

Put the two together and you get somafunk, as in :

I’m in a somafunk this afternoon

Simple really.

Pigface
    Free Member

hels
    Free Member

Brian Johnson from AC/DC gave it to me. “forget about the check, we’ll get hels to pay”.

True story.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have a cat called; well you get the rest…

yamyamblade
    Free Member

originally from the black country and support team in adopted city as majority of mates who went drinking supported, certainly not for the glory !!

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m incredibly right handed and also right footed EXCEPT for on a bike when I lead with my left foot, I was also running a Cannondale with the original Lefty fork so ended up with LeftyBoy.

Was very amused a while back when I was told my username was because I was a left wing whinger, but that’s just coincidence 😉

Should probably change it to NotAsLeftyAsIWasAndNotABoyAnyMore but that seems a bit much 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

I ride a Global TH1.5 titanium mountain bike from Ride-On in Rawtenstall. I don’t think Craig makes them any more.

avdave2

Because I work in AV and my name is Brian. The 2 came after the hack.

It came from the chippies when I did a lot of exhibition stand builds and I’d be constantly called from from one bit of the stand to another to get my stuff done so they could then carry on.

ffej
    Free Member

It’s my name.. backwards.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I lived in Rossendale, when I set the account up and I have the downhill skills of a Lemming.

aracer
    Free Member

Username on another forum was Adventure Racer (because that’s what I was very seriously into, and also trolling because it was an orienteering forum where they were being rude about adventure racers). Contracted it a bit for here, which keeps people guessing. About 18 months since I’ve done a race or anything competitive at all.

wombat

My name is Tom.

Dante Gabriel Rossetti had a pet wombat called Tom.

Based on the above, it seemed appropriate.

fasthaggis

Joke init 😉
    There is no such thing as a fast haggis.

vondally
    Free Member

I used to have a dalmatian…..dally

I worked with young people especially those who society class as hard to reach, vulnerable, or difficult.

One of the lads thought vin diesel was similiar to me…bald head being the only link i could see but his spelling was not the best so it became
    von dally.

yunki
    Free Member

I was the oldest member of our crew and if caught on a bad day would moan about how young people have got it easy, So I got the nickname youngster..
    I was also a bit of a fiend for intravenous drug use at the time so it was abbreviated to yunki the junky and finally just yunki

(there was some sort of reference to Scandinavian pronunciation too which was hilarious at the time but I guess you had to be there)

andymc06
    Free Member

Was my user name when I first got a PC. Often wish I had chosen something more identifiable and interesting!:-)

thenorthwind

Vaguely reminiscent of a romanticised outdoorsy kind of vibe, and inspired by a line in a song “The north wind, is like a Spanish guitar, soaked in petrol, burning on the bar” (also pretty abstract and meaningless). Also I’m a northerner.

Nothing to do with Northwind, and definitely not trying to claim I’m the northwind and somehow more genuine than him. Sorry about that.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

According to Matt’s MuddyMoles blog when I went for my first ride with them, I was some guy on a Turner…

Northwind

joelowden – Member

Northwind… can I assume then you owned a British Racing Green SV650 then ??

It’s Renault Vert Anglais 👿 Get it right! Yeah, that’s me. There’s a couple of other sv650.org folks on here too

ChrisL

First name Chris, second name Lupton. It could so easily have been clupton but it wasn’t, which was pretty handy (in avoiding confusion) a few years ago when glupton was about (or was about and using that name, I’m not attentive enough to keep track of who went away and came back in disguise).

inbred853

No explination needed I would assume, 853 Inbred frame bought from that Brant chap, however it was retired last year after many years sterling service. Should really change my user name to Elmarkungfu now!

Daffy

Cockney Rhyming Slang Nickname given to me by friends in senior school after I shrunkwrapped my irritating science teachers car and got dobbed in. “you’re totally Daffy Ducked”.

That was in 1994….I’ve had my synonymous e-mail and domain name since 1995.

jekkyl

My online name has been Jekyll for years; msn chatrooms, steam on-line CS & TF2 games used this handle previously. Came on here one to ask about brakes one day and finding ‘Jekyll’ taken I simply added another letter. I don’t really like it and would like to change it but I suppose it doesn’t really matter. The real ‘Jekyll’ goes on the classifieds a lot and never comes on the chat/bike forum. My real name’s Michael. 🙂

zinaru
    Free Member

Father Yod on lead vocals along Djin Aquarian on guitar, Octavius Aquarian on drums, and Sunflower Aquarian on bass

Zinaru Aquarian was the sound guy – to my all time favourite band YA HO WHA 13

Always like to think of him as the Eno of the band, hence my username. And its slightly more exciting than ‘John’

Euro
    Free Member

A group of us used to go snowboarding every year, usually to somewhere different each time. Despite being rubbish at languages at school, i would turn into a international linguist while away. I invented a new language (a mixture of Irish, French, Spanish + German) while drunk one evening. Weirdly, foreign folk could understand what i was saying (ordering food, drinks etc) so my mates named the this new tongue Euromar and another nickname was born.

I too have my own logo 😉

tenfoot

Years ago I was given the nickname “tenfoot” by my friends after my sister-in -law changed the words to a rhyme we used to use when we were kids – My friend Billy had a ten foot willy etc….”

My name is Phil, so Billy was substituted with Philly, and the nickname stuck.

Cougar

We’ve definitely done this before but,

During my formative hackish years online it became apparent that a unique alias was required. “Cougar” was inspired by Top Gun (which dates how long I’ve used it), it’s a loose play on my real name, I’m a ‘cat’ person and TBH as a teenager I thought it was kinda cool.

Fast forward a quarter of a century and it now has an unfortunate other meaning which I could never have predicted, but the name’s too well entrenched to change. I’ve a couple of Real Life™ friends who address me as Cougar even, the horse has well and truly bolted. Ho hum.

Rockape63
    Free Member

If I had known how long I would spend on this forum, I would have thought up something witty and amusing (possibly!) 8)

However, as some on here know, a Rockape is a nickname for an Raf Regt Gunner and 63 was the sqn I spent my last few years in (up to 1985). It was used more as a code for similar others at the time to spot. A lifetime ago now…. 😕

wonnyj
    Free Member

Real name Jonny Williams becomes Wonny Jilliams becomes wonny j

Sandwich

I was eating a sandwich.

Not this one.

It’s an old school nickname based on my surname. I was hamster before the hack but the felching got too much.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Yorky as I was raised as a wee boy on a farm in Yorkshire & CSL as I owned a bonkers BMW m3 CSL which superb but I couldn’t drive it to save my life, the stig Not.

Cougar

First name Chris, second name Lupton.

That’s interesting, there’s a classifieds-only user with the same name. Do I need to dust off the hammer?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Mine was just random words that i heard someone else use the week I was signing up. It doesn’t have any deeper meaning.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I sail a lot, I windsurf a lot, I ride bikes a lot.

I wanted a combination of that lot so came up with:

bikebouy, bike = bike and bouy = bouy you sail around.

Simple eh.

DrJ

Nothing to do with medicine – was from at a certain point I was pretty down and Dr Dre’s “Still DRE” was a bit of a pick-me-up 🙂

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I live in Cheshire, and I have a cat

benji
    Free Member

I blame my parents.

I’m Benjamin when in trouble, Ben in more formal situations, and Benji when having fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 303 total)

The topic ‘Care to explain your choice of username?’ is closed to new replies.