Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cardio Machines at the gym – best ones for cycling fitness/muscles?
  • shoefiti
    Free Member

As above, with the exception of the cycling machine, which has a massive girly saddle and a Q-factor than John Wayne would find excessive, so it kills my knees in 10 mins. And no i can't get out and go for a ride instead, I have an hour and a half a day where i can use the gym, but not ride my bike, so kind of want the time to go to good use, any recomendations?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Running?

Not the same muscles, granted, but surely the most benifical for your fitness overall??

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Get on the running machine and the rower.

I stupidly stopped running when I started commuting, and now my fitness is suffering. Running will give you a far more rounded cardio fitness than cycling, and the rower is brutal once you get your technique down. Very good for the upper body.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

I'd agree with that. Why can you only go to the gym in that period? Could you set a turbo trainer up somewhere instead?

RHSno2
    Free Member

I do circuit type stuff and use the recumberent bike for that reason.

Really kick up the intensity for an hours work out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cross Trainer thingies work well for me. Good upper body action as well as a low impact leg movement. My knees/shins really don't like any form of running for any distance, so the low impact movement on the platforms really helps build up cardio fitness without any muscle/joint damage.

shoefiti
    Free Member

yer running is not so hot on my bad knee! I've a turbo trainer at home, so use that there. The choices are: Treadmill, x-trainer, step machine and rowers. There are also a load of free weights and every machine going, but i'm reluctant to do too much weights for fear of wreaking my knees (they ain't too chippa any more!)

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

weights won't hurt your knees if you have the right technique and weight -in fact, they may even help by building up the surrounding muscles (going to the gym twice a week has kept my knee pretty much pain free, and i know this also goes for my trainer, who has had ops to remove cartiledge (sp))

thats a long time to spend on cv at the gym = hot, sweaty and dull. i would mix it up with weights, but if you aren't that keen on them, i would do intervals on each i.e 15mins on the rower, the x trainer at level xx for 1 min, and then level xx for 2, back to one etc, then 15mins on the treadmill and so on. will keep the boredom down.

what about classes i.e spinning? very good and last for 45mins.

sofatester
    Free Member

Squat, squat and squat some more.

You will be amazed how much stronger you feel on the bike after a few months of heavy squating!

shoefiti
    Free Member

they don't have spinning classes at my gym unfortunatly, i'll have a look at the squats thou. Many thanks.

hitman
    Free Member

Rowing, infact any cardio machine which is underused or only used for very little time – they're the hardest and the best :-)Also swimming.

Like you I'm trying to get in shape and am alternating 30 mins rowing with 30 mins swimming throughout the week plus weights every other day.
    Doesn't sound a lot but try swimming/rowing for 30 mins and you'll see its not easy 🙂

Oh yeah, invest in a Heart Rate Monitor

Good luck

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cardio Machines at the gym – best ones for cycling fitness/muscles?’ is closed to new replies.