Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cardiff with a 6 yr old
  • bubs

Recommendations for fun things to do please. My wife is taking our oldest to the Dr Who experience and the science centre but I am struggling to find something as good for my daughter.

mattherby
    Free Member

Tree tops crazy golf? Located at the top of the st davids car park.

kiwicraig

Techniquest? https://www.techniquest.org/

Not been for around 20 years but it was awesome on school trips.

milky1980
    Free Member

See if the Castle is doing a medieval display.
    Techniquest if she’s into sciency stuff (unless that’s what you mean by the Science centre).
    There’s a mini golf centre in St David’s 2, always popular with kids.
    If the weather’s nice then you could head down the ‘beach’ which is just along the barrage from Dr Who.
    St Fagan’s is good if you have access to transport to get there.
    There are a few trampoline parks around now if she want’s to break an arm!
    National museum is next to the castle and is free.

ctk
    Free Member

Saint Fagans museum? My 6y-o loves it there.

If the suns out Barry Island beach is 20mins in car or train. Nice beach, fairground rides etc.

Lego Shop, near the above crazy golf place.

molgrips
    Free Member

St Fagans is the best tourist attraction I reckon.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

Techniquest. Not that far from the Dr.Who Shizzle and it’s perfect for a six year old.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

If your daughter can swim the Olympic pool is great – it has leisure pool with slides etc. Good family space to muck about and have a laugh in the water.

http://www.leisurecentre.com/cardiff-international-pool/Facilities

gauss1777
    Free Member

Roath Park is fantastic, but I’ve not been there with children for a long time. However, you can no doubt still hire a rowing boat or pedalo, to go on the lake. The swings and slides area always was, excellent.
    You can hire bicycles, I would guess with tag-along etc if needed, both at the Bay and with the castle grounds at Pontcanna – both of these are large, interesting, car free areas.
    If you like throwing pebbles into the sea, then Penarth beach is nice.

bubs

Thank you – some great suggestions.

dragon
    Free Member

The National Museum and Art Gallery, Cardiff Castle, Bute Park, Principality Stadium and the main shops are near each other. So not impossible to combine a couple together.

St Fagans is brill, but is a fair bit out of town so needs a car to access.

Roath Park is decent for slides, swings, hot house, lake etc.

Castell Coch is just outside the city and quite ‘fairy tail’, which might be good if she’s into Disney stuff.

bubs

Bingo! Fairy hunting at Castell Coch.

IdleJon

Castell Coch looks fairy tale from the outside but is just a castle inside, and not even an old one. It’s rather small as well. We had a decent enough visit early in the year but can’t say my six year old was particularly enthused. She loves Techniquest though.

IdleJon

Just asked the 6 yr old which she preferred.. “The castle was just walking around looking at things so I liked Techniquest more. Although we had chocolate at the end of the castle.” (About five months ago!)

The museum is good for small kids, btw.

themilo
    Free Member

Water taxi! Some also have a bar 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

but is just a castle inside

Hardly. Most castles are just ruins with a boarded floor if you are lucky. This one has fancy furniture and proper rooms and all. Ok so it’s 1920s fantasty, but still cool at that.

IdleJon

Most castles are just ruins with a boarded floor if you are lucky. This one has fancy furniture and proper rooms and all. Ok so it’s 1920s fantasty, but still cool at that

From a six year old’s POV? I first went there when I was about 8 or 10. The only thing I remember about the visit was my aunt falling down the portcullis. 😀

BigJohn

Isn’t there a Wetherspoons and a bookies?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cardiff with a 6 yr old’ is closed to new replies.