Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Carbs in the dishwasher??? (wife dilema content)
  • dangriff
    Free Member

I've been attempting to clean and strip the twin SUs from my MGB. Normal automotive degreaser – useless. Citrus degreaser – not bad. I know that they really need a good hot cycle in the dishwasher, but how to convince the wife.

1. Plead and beg?
    or
    2. Ask, matter of fact style as if it's a normal request?
    or
    3. Tell her I'm gonna do it?
    or
    4. Tell her when I've done it?
    or
    5. Get the bits in there tonight, when she's gone to bed and I go down to let the dog out for a p1ss, then get them out when I go down in the morning to turn the heating on, hoping that the whole kitchen doesn't smell of unleaded?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Just do it!
    [Top Gear mode]What could possibly go wrong?[/Top Gear mode]

flatfish
    Free Member

she'll be january sale shopping in the morning, plenty of time, just be patient.

iDave
    Free Member

always easier to get forgiveness than permission

do it

Brainflex

Easy to ask forgiveness than permission

dangriff
    Free Member

The devil on my right shoulder is telling me – just do it.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Do it in someone elses dishwasher 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

do it after you've bought one of those dishwasher cleaning/freshening wash things to put through after.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Friend put a Spun Alloy air filter thru to clean it up and it looked amazing after. Didnt damage the washer either!

Peregrine
    Free Member

Just do it – your a bloke – we do things without thinking (apparently).

Whats the worst that can happen?

bruneep

It is easier to seek forgiveness than it is to seek permission.

Just do it and MTFU 😉

alwyn
    Free Member

Tell me if it works, I might do the same with my MGB!

Ambrose

Do it. Then buy chocolates/ flowers/ both if she notices.

I regularly put greasy bike kit through the machine, I've yet to have an issue- either with Mr Miele or with Mrs Ambrose.

BoardinBob

I've stuck bike bits soaked in degreaser in the dishwasher before and it's been fine. The dishwasher smelled of degreaser for a couple of washes afterwards but it was ok after that.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Tell her you've read of really good cleaning product for the dishwasher, and you'll run it over night, after she's gone to bed.
    Just get up early…

And don't make eye contact when she mentions that everything tastes of petrol.

Trekster

Brake fluid does the job fine then a polish with some brasso/autosolve.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do the indicator and sidelight lenses at the same time. If they are glass. They'll come up a treat.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Do it, if she notices plead ignorance and blame the dog.

Who paid for the dishwasher ?

odannyboy
    Free Member

no no no, you muppet! my mate did this and it smelt for ages.
    i work in the motor trade and take it from me if you want to clean aluminum the only thing to use is alloy wheel cleaner.not because its fo alloy wheels but because if you get the right stuff its acid.it strips the surface clean,it really can be quite amazing sometimes.

use strong degreaser first then spray with wheel acid.soak for few mins max then jet wash,hose off and dry thouroughly (they are carbs!)

trust me nothing comes close on bare alloy…ignore all the above posts…

ps try and my it from a motor factor reather than halfords type places.its proper strong and not halfords watered down rubbish…and mind your eyes!! 😯

iDave
    Free Member

i thought this post was about pasta in the waste trap

nickc

It'll come out cleanish but the dishwasher will dull the surface and will stink ( although running it empty at it's hottest setting will sort that out)

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Just get them ultrasonically cleaned,not much point having them shiny on the outside and semi-clogged internals.

bruneep

Just get them ultrasonically cleaned

I think using her ultrasonic tooth brush is taking it to far………. or is it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

fine so long as it's someone else's toothbrush!

Northwind

Why not just get a can of carb cleaner? The Wynns stuff is very effective.

uplink
    Free Member

Why not just get a can of carb cleaner? The Wynns stuff is very effective.

I think he's looking more for a cosmetic clean rather than an internal jobbie

Anyway you can use dishwasher detergent in a bucket with very hot water & a small scrubbing brush
    Rinse & dry [compressed air is easiest] thoroughly

Northwind

Ah. That'd make sense, yup. It actually does a good job for that too, though very wasteful as a can doesn't go far. Paintbrush and petrol?

BigJohn

Scruff puts his winter boots in the washing machine when the Mrs is out

dangriff
    Free Member

Did it. Stripped them fully and lined up the bits – front carb in the top drawer, back carb in the bottom, all screws and bits in the cutlery tray.

Very clean, very dull (not bothered by cosmetics). Went together lovely today with a full service kit of new gaskets etc.

Cylinder head in next!

Daniel
    Free Member

yup, sometimes its easier to say sorry than to ask for permission.

genesis
    Free Member

Just do it, befoe you do though get a Finish dishwasher cleaner pack and one of those de-odouriser things.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I thought it was a pasta thread too lol.Then i guessed that it might be some mechanical freak wanting to put his R1 carbs from the bike in the dishwasher.

I was close.

:::ponders putting the K&N filters from the car and bike in it too::::

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Carbs in the dishwasher??? (wife dilema content)’ is closed to new replies.