Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon456 chainsuck problem
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

This is getting quite bad now (dropping from 36t middle to 22t granny)

Anyone else had it and found a solution

Maybe an anti-chainsuck plate to prevent damage?

jimmers
    Free Member

1×9/10?

z1ppy
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Being the King of On One Chainsuck on my Inbred, I feel qualified to comment!

My c456 does not suffer this, so I can only suggest either your chainline is too close to the stays or your drivetrain is worn!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. You’re getting it as you change AND you have a 36t ring on!

Time for some drivetrain fettling methinks!

uplink
    Free Member

Not on a 456 [or an On-one] I moved the chain line out another 2.5mm and pretty much cured it

andyl
    Free Member

Carbon 456 has a 73mm BB shell so only have one 2.5mm spacer which rules out moving it.

I am running 22-32-42 with old but good condition rings and new chain and cassette and I have had problems but it is also my 1st ever build so I want someone else to look at the setup.

I am just about to move to 22-36 (brand new) but am also wondering about getting a 24 or 26 granny to make it less of a jump.

I did have some thin aluminium on but the chain cut through and just scored the paint. I have now got some stainless steel plate from the lab to cut up and make something proper. Will post pics when I do.

I really fancy one of the K-edge jobbies but they are bloomin expensive for a bit of aluminium.

andyl
    Free Member

K-edge is £30 at Wiggle so might be worth a punt when it’s in stock.

Not sure it will fit though as the chunky chainstay on the C456 means it will have to point downwards at about 45 deg and might foul the chain coming off the granny. Will measure up when I get home.

Northwind

K-edge looks clever, I’ve done something much the same with my Blackspire Stinger by sticking an M8 bolt through it- cruder but prevents chainsuck completely. Hopefully they’ll do a combined chain device/chainsuck thingmy.

Cable ties are surprisingly effective to protect the frame btw, you’d expect they’d just break but they seem soft enough to survive the impact yet hard enough not to just gouge off

billyboy
    Free Member

I built a 14″ 456 which suffered chainsuck from the getgo with brand new XT etc kit on it.
    Partially resolved it by pushing the bb out a bit.

There have been a fair few posts on here saying 456s suffer from this. From what I can glean some frames are very prone to it, but the bike world is unable to give a logical reason for it.

I’ve had two 18″ 456’s that never had the problem though.

fadda

Hmmmm…

Had this problem last weekend (18″ c456) and, whilst the good folk on here and at On-One have confirmed that the horrible marks aren’t serious, I’d love to be sure it wont happen again.

andyl – could you let us know what you think when you’ve “measured up”? Happy to spend a bit of money for peace of mind…

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all my frame is 18″ too will have a look at the K-Edge

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon456 chainsuck problem’ is closed to new replies.