Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon "wrapped" seatposts – do they do anything
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

More than a regular alloy seatpost?

geetee1972
    Free Member

It might be a bit lighter, but that’s about it. Here’s the thing with seat posts though.

Enve Carbon post, only available in 400mm length regardless of how long you need it, or whether it’s for a road or mountain bike, weighs 190g and costs £220.

A Thomson Elite, same diameter but this one only 250mm long, weighs 185g and costs one quarter as much.

My point is that you can achieve far more in weight saving by just buying the right length post. I mean who’s going to saw down an Enve post?

Sorry probably doesn’t help much.

petefromearth

They look prettier, that’s about it

The fibres are unlikely to even be carbon. You can get a very similar effect using nylon or polypropylene fibres. That’s usually what chavvy halfords air fresheners etc will be made from

gringojimi
    Free Member

They scratch up a lot easier. That’s probably it 😉

petefromearth

Assume you’re talking about an aluminium post with carbon wrapped round the outside

If so, there is no strength or weight benefit to this

I have a cannondale seat post exactly like that. Heavy cheap post, made to look posh.

joshvegas
    Free Member

They keep the saddle from falling off no?

Northwind

Some companies claim wraps mean you still get the magic damping of carbon. Am unconvinced. The cost saving doesn’t seem enough to justify not just getting a full carbon one.

And yeah, the worst bit about carbon seatposts is that they scratch/wear as you move the seat. So that’s a nice feature to add to an alu one

jmckee
    Free Member

Yes – they allow the moisture to penetrate between the aluminium and carbon, the aluminium oxidises, expands and causes the carbon to split. They’re the perfect example of why marketing shouldn’t design components.
    Being honest, in my experience the seat posts aren’t a huge problem as the exposed parts are completely wrapped so moisture doesn’t easily get in. Carbon wrapped stems are a complete disaster however and should be avoided. Regardless, in my opinion it’s done because of the modern cyclists love of carbon and nothing to do with performance.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Sorry I wasn’t clear – not concerned about weight more about comfort – I’m not convinced an alloy post wrapped in carbon is going to be as good a dampener of shocks as a carbon only post

trail_rat
    Free Member

think of the carbon wrap like a sticker.

it might as well say “go fast” for all the good its doing for the comfort factor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon "wrapped" seatposts – do they do anything’ is closed to new replies.