Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon wrapped road bars
  • Shack
    Free Member

Considering a set of Deda Sfida carbon wrapped bars from Planet X for a summer bike I’m currently building. However have read a review saying the carbon wrap makes the bars ultra stiff giving a very harsh ride. Any truth in this or any general opinions on carbon wrapped bars. They will be going onto a Storck alloy frame with carbon fork, which is apparently super stiff so I’m looking to get as much comfort factor in there as possible.

Northwind

Every carbon wrapped part I’ve used has been essentially an alu part with wallpaper on it… Slightly heavier than normal, and no different. But ymmv, the theory’s sound and yes it could make a stiffer and stronger bar, but then they could build it softer. Or, they could just piss about like lots of other people do.

jambon
    Free Member

+1 wallpaper. More difficult to recycle too.

Spesh Roubaix tape seems to be a popular way to add comfort to Alu bars.

4ags4
    Free Member

Another shout for Spesh Roubaix tape but doubled up (2 layers)

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve got carbon wrapped on my training bike, yes they’re supposed to be stiff but that has nothing to do with comfort.
    I can’t see how anyone can measure the difference between these and standard alu one.
    I only have tape in the drops for sprinting, the rest of the bar is bare.

Tyres
    Rims
    Spokes
    Headset
    Frame
    Stem…..then the bars

rusty90
    Free Member

Tyres
    Rims
    Spokes
    Headset
    Frame
    Stem…..then the bars

You’ve wrapped them all in carbon?

Shack
    Free Member

” Or, they could just piss about like lots of other people do.” Now there’s a trueism if ever I heard one. Thanks for advice.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just looked, they weigh a ton and are just ‘normal’ bars. I went for those weird flat top wing things. Great for riding on the tops, and have a warm feel so no need for gloves.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just taken off my Bontrager alloy bars and fitted my chinese road bars. The Bonty road bars were 31.8mm right across the tops until the bend. so very stiff. The carbon bars, albeit only a 300 yrd ride, feel a lot more comfortable already. Yes, they flex a tad, but might give my wrists a chance now. I looked at the carbon wrapped stuff, but a bit gimmicky , as look great, but pointless in a way, as heavier and may as well stay with alloy bars or pay a bit more and gain the comfort of carbon bars.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon wrapped road bars’ is closed to new replies.