Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Carbon wheels….am I missing something?
  • matts
    Free Member

In the road world, the LB rims seem to get a very bad rap. They’re a bit lighter than the competition, but the number of failures is ridiculous. I get the impression that they’re just ‘having a go at some carbon’ rather than actually having any idea what they’re doing with construction techniques, resins, etc. I think I would go with a more reputable company.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Interestingly, they’ve just reorganised to just focus on rim production. That doesn’t strike me as a company that is ‘just having a go’.

njee20
    Free Member

In the road world, the LB rims seem to get a very bad rap. They’re a bit lighter than the competition, but the number of failures is ridiculous. I get the impression that they’re just ‘having a go at some carbon’ rather than actually having any idea what they’re doing with construction techniques, resins, etc. I think I would go with a more reputable company.

Do they? Their rims aren’t lighter than ‘the competition’, I’d be interested to see the negative press?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matts
    Free Member

The new ones aren’t. Probably because they kept failing. By ‘competition’ I mean Hong-fu, Carbon-Cycle, Yishun. Not Enve.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’m doing a bit of comparative swapping between alu and carbon rims at the moment, current conclusions –

1. I prefer the flex of the alu
    2. carbons are significantly lighter, therefore does feel more efficient on the pedals
    3. the carbons are really strong
    4. the carbons are really stiff
    5. the carbons feel more sketchy
    6. with the carbons, the entire wheel flexes, the flex is a lot more discrete on the alu

gram chaser or xc racer, the carbon are a no brainer
    enduro racer with big heavy tyres wanting a bit more efficiency, carbon
    for MTBing, alu

njee20
    Free Member

The new ones aren’t. Probably because they kept failing. By ‘competition’ I mean Hong-fu, Carbon-Cycle, Yishun.

Presumed as much, but they’re not lighter. I went FarSports for that very reason. Would be genuinely interested to read the stuff about them being shit though.

trauty
    Free Member

the main reason i went for carbon rims is lower weight.
    light bicycle rims 27mm + pillar spokes laced to hope hubs 1610g incl rim tapes and valves. saved bout 300g. the wheelset is stiff and bike accelerates like a rocket now. perfect for enduro racing

Tracey

Got a mixture of carbon rims on some of our bikes. So far after Alps trips, most weekends in the Peak and Abigale competing in Enduro they have all lived up to our expectations. Abigale is running 38mm Sixth Element carbon rims with Hope hubs on her Enduro, they have been put through alot in the last couple of races and still running true and smooth. I saw alot of smashed wheels last week at the EWS, only one was carbon.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I thought Ibis went to LB when they first thought of doing own-brand carbon wheels, and the reason it didn’t come off was commercial (order size, lead times etc) rather than quality?

I’d also suggest LB have ‘more’ failures is because they’re the biggest supplier, not because they’re amateurs playing at carbon 🙄

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

For £561 including duties and postage, these have done me very well on the XC and trail 29ers. Moderate width (about right for 2.2-2.4in tyres), DT Swiss 350 hubs, and CX-Ray spokes, all built well. They’ve taken some impressive casing-cutting hits to the bead without complaint. At 1,500g (if memory serves), the 150g saved over a not-as-stout alloy set is noticeable as well. Looking at what else is available in the same price range with similar-quality hubs, it wasn’t a difficult decision.

http://www.asiancyclexpress.com/29er-offset-tubeless-mountain-bike-dt-swiss-350s-hubs-mtb-carbon-light-bicycle-wheels-ace-dtm933s

pb2

gee – Member
    Interesting to see Am Classic recommended – everything I’ve seen of those says rims made of cheese and unreliable freehub drive…

Says someone whose never used them 🙄 Could it be the people that recommend them have used them ?

I have and so far (2 years in) they have been great, no issues what so ever which is more than I can say for my over priced CK hubbed wheels.

I would buy AM wheels again in a heartbeat

stewartc
    Free Member

So, cracked my 3rd set of LB rims today in 6 or 7 months, managed to get the last set replaced under warranty but now ending my carbon experiment and sticking with alloy for the time being.

I’m a 90kg rider who likes to ride aggressively and my local trails where I ride (HK plus regular Chiang Mai trips) tend to be rock strewn affairs, it appears these are not good combinations?
    Its a pity as I liked the ability to run lower pressure and that stiff feeling you get which I found gave me confidence on line selection when riding through rock gardens.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’d just warranty them tbh and use the money you’d spend on a wide set of alu rims (eg easton ARC’s) to stick a procore set in and see how that works out.

Those look like an old model rim as well.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If you’re going to run pro core, I’d do it on carbons to offset the weight. In theory, rock strikes, which are what’s killing carbons are virtually eliminated.

I think I might look at new flows if my next set of carbons don’t last.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Gratuitous photo opportunity.

I haven’t had any trouble with mine but to be fair, this bike spends its days in the woods just dealing with roots. I wouldn’t dream of taking it anywhere rocky, got another bike for that

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got no idea what this thread’s about, but that bike looks like brilliant fun.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Oh it is! Thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Carbon wheels….am I missing something?’ is closed to new replies.