Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon wheels on steel full sus.
  • vonplatz
    Free Member

So, I have just gained the opportunity to get myself a starling built for me. I’m looking at whether I can justify replacing my still perfect and great riding Liteville 301 Mk 10 with a new biek but anyway…

Does it make sense to put carbon hoops on a steel full suspension frame? I guess anything to keep the weight down but it seems silly to spend money on a not particularly light frame and then bling it out with carbon parts.

From a riding perspective, whats the point in buying a compliant frame and then having super stiff rims?

Anyone with a Starling Murmur?

Thoughts?

chakaping
    Free Member

Obviously not all carbon rims are the same, but I rode some on a Cotic RocketMax and was not very keen. Did a write-up here…
    http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/first-rides-cotic-flaremax-and-rocketmax/

Have since rode my pal’s RocketMax with alloy rims and it felt much better.

HTH.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Suspension tends to work better with less unsprung weight so lighter wheels are a benefit regardless of what the frame weighs. Whether carbon rims are a good idea is open to debate

tmb467
    Free Member
    hatter

Starling themselves just did a video on this exact subject

Carbon rims don’t automatically mean a wheelset is actually lighter, if you can afford a set that drops a significant amount of weight then great, if not I’d stick with a really nice set of alloys.

tmb467
    Free Member

Personally – my budget didn’t stretch to carbon rims so obviously they’re no good 😀

greyspoke
    Free Member

The extra lateral stiffness would have to be a plus point I think. The interaction between other sources of vertical compliance (tyres, wheels, frame) and the suspension must be very complex, if they interact in a bad way then removing compliance from something might help.

I fitted some wide carbon rims to my fs bike and can’t say I notice a choppier ride, or less lateral flex etc., but the wideness seems to help with tyre grip. I am enjoying it.

tmb467
    Free Member

Good analysis

vonplatz
    Free Member

question answered in full

Great! I obviously need to spend more time on the internets. Are you a Starling owner?

tmb467
    Free Member

I am – and I’ve found no problems with the weight of the bike nor with the Hope Pro4 / Flows + Maxxis tyres

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon wheels on steel full sus.’ is closed to new replies.