• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by womp.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Carbon wheels on an inflite
  • womp
    Free Member

I have a Canyon Inflite and want an extra set of carbon wheels for road use.

I have had a look at farsports and light bicycles but am baffled by the choice of hubs

How many spokes
    What model (i need disc)

I want 38mm(ish) with 25mm width rims
    Happy with cheaper hubs (novatec, bitex ect)

Will the disc spacing on the new wheels be the same as my DT Swiss wheels or will i get brake rub when i swap ?

mattyfez

Drop lb an email, they are really helpful, spoke count depends on your weight and riding style, but 32 is pretty standard.. novatek are thier standard option unless you go for a fancier hub set.

Disk mounting is in the hub so is standard, bar any slight adjustments to the caliper.

You’ll need to know what qr/axles you’re running to ensure the right hub is supplied.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I race an inflite and have 3 sets of wheels. Some big stock charge hub/wtb rim 32 spokes, a pair of hope pro 2/ambrosio excelight 32 spokes and a pair of Cole 38mm carbons 20/24spoke. Calipers are hope x2 and need tweaking each time I change wheels. Only a case of slackening the caliper mount bolts and retightening.
    Up to your weight/use as to spoke count. I wouldn’t go less than 24 ideally.
    100mm/9mm QR front
    135/9mm QR rear

womp
    Free Member

Thanks everyone 🙂

i have just got this back from LB, does this sound right ??

Wheelset specification.
    Rims: 35mm clincher, RRU35C02, 3K glossy, 24 hole, no braking track, 435+/-15g
    Hubs: black, Novatec D771/D772, standard QR/ 135mm standard QR, for Shimano road 11s
    Spokes: black, Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420(bladed)
    Nipples: Black Aluminum

The wheelset price is $577, shipping with EMS is $78 to UK, and your total comes to $677.93 including the PayPal fee. All pricing in USD. Wheelset Weight 1520+/-25g

If you would like to order, please let me know and I can create the purchasing link for you.

so thats around £480 + £60 import duty = £540

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Checkout the Hunt/Mason 4 season wheelset. It’s alloy, but a similar weight and £200 cheaper.

mattyfez

I’d go with dtswiss spokes over the pillar, mainly due to easier availability if you need to replace any.

Spoke count seems low unless you are fairy light and it’s for road only, but then I’m 16 stone and do mixed terrain, I know nothing of road wheels.

I guess your bike has disk brakes if you’ve gone for ‘no braking track’?

womp
    Free Member

Again thanks for the advice, I will change to DT Swiss spokes and up the spoke count.

David: just looked at the Hunt, they are certainly a consideration for £349, ill try find some reviews (makes me wonder what other budget tubeless alloy wheels are around…..)

womp
    Free Member

A quick comparison of carbon vs alu tubeless ready disc wheels…

Carbon LB 35mm___£480____1520g
    Carbon LB 25mm____£480___1270g
    JRA jawbone sp lite___£425___1488g
    JRA jawbone lite_____£380____1596g
    Racelight___________£351____1550g
    Hunt 4 season_______£350____1598g
    Dt Swiss r23________£295_____1655g
    Cosine_____________£180____1610g

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Carbon wheels on an inflite’ is closed to new replies.