Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Carbon Wheels vs Alloy on a carbon XC 29er hardtail. Should I spend the wedge?
  • duffyc
    Free Member

This has probably been done before but…….

I am looking at sticking some carbon wheels on my XC hardtail. The bike is a Niner air9 Carbon. I ride XC and Marathon stuff.

The bike is already pretty light 22.5lb so weight isn’t a massive issue for me. After reading up about lower rotational mass benefits etc etc I’m tempted to buy some, however, a couple of people have said that it might make the ride too harsh because of the stiffness the frame already has.

I currently run ZTR Crest with Hope hubs so have a pretty light wheel set up already.

Is it worth it???

Thoughts and experiences would be welcomely received.

Chris

jonk

Unless you break crests then i wouldn’t bother. I have crests and love them in fact the only time they have failed is when a motorbike hit me. They are light and do the job well. You can loose quite a bit of weight by changing the hubs over from Hopes to Tune etc and the spokes to something lighter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Wheels vs Alloy on a carbon XC 29er hardtail. Should I spend the wedge?’ is closed to new replies.