Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon virgin.
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m about to try carbon forks for the first time (on a steel hardtail) and despite that fact that a lot of folk use them, I can’t help feeling a tad nervous (probably without cause); they just look fragile!

What sort of abuse can carbon take and does it has a decent lifespan? The forks would be carbon stanchioned with alloy crown/steerer.

nemesis
    Free Member

Similar to steel or any other forks IME. In fact, potentially longer life.

ferrals
    Free Member

Funny, I’m looking at new forks for a possible build and also a bit nervy about carbon. I was wondering about carbon steerers, do people bother to take the top-cap off and look at the steerer tube every so often? I’ve never once looked at my alloy one

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of broken alu/steel steerers. You should always take them off for a check on a regular basis (and I’m as guilty as anyone of not doing it often enough)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was like this when I got my carbon frame, I was even nervous of putting another bike on top in the back of the car. Now I don’t care. I took a chunk out of my carbon bars a few weeks ago, I’m still going to ride them.

PJay
    Free Member

It’s probably fine; there’s shed loads of carbon being ridden out there. I guess that the nerves stem for seeing the odd picture of snapped carbon on the ‘net (there’s plenty of steel, ally and titanium too); it just looks so thin and insubstantial (I think that rider weight limits make me a bit edgy too).

NewRetroTom

This video has been around for a while. (Niner carbon forks being hit with a hammer)

https://youtu.be/6QNRpSkTGoA

rone

Been on my fully rigid carbon this morning – and I’ve had carbon forks before. Never even thought about it.

PJay
    Free Member

Well I’ve got them fitted (both a stubborn crown race and star nut taking fair bit off hammering to finally seat) and taken them out for a long ride.

They look and feel great but I still find myself feeling rather nervous about their strenth; they just feel so light!

The manufacturers advise that they test their forks with hard riding and drop-offs so hopefully I’ll become more confident over time.

Anyone else had initial nerves with carbon?

globalti
    Free Member

Nope. I fitted some eXotic rigids to my hardtail and loved them, supremely comfortable, sharp handling and strong enough to endo the bike. You really won’t miss suspension unless you ride down some steps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon virgin.’ is closed to new replies.