• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Carbon v. Aluminum Bar
  • backnsaddleagain
    Free Member

I’ve settled on the Easton Haven bar and I can get it in aluminum for the american equivalent of 44 gbp and carbon for the american equivalent of 79 gbp, both of which are great deals. I certainly won’t starve spending on the carbon one, but it is almost twice as much. Is it worth it? Can the dampening really be felt? Is 100grams worth the money? With all the warnings on installation, how likely is the bar to be damaged from a rogue rock flying up? I know it has a lifetime warranty, but I can’t imagine that covers damage from a crash. Any insight?

Northwind

100 grams for £35 isn’t a bad return, as these things go. According to Easton, the carbon Haven is as strong as the old Monkeylite DH, which was strong like ox (tested mine by having the bike fall off the gondola at fort william and fall the height of my house onto the bars, among other things).

I’d go for the carbon, but then again I’m a weight-obsessed bike tart. If you can’t trust Easton carbon, then you can’t trust carbon full stop if you ask me.

jambon
    Free Member

Carbon bars do feel nice – they absorb the high frequency chatter that gets through forks. Missive difference on my rigid Surly 1×1 when put carbon bars on it, until some git knicked it.

brakes
    Free Member

if you don’t crash much, get carbon
    in my opinion they are more susceptible to crash damage, but I don’t crash much (tempts fate, touches wood) so will be getting some for my xc hardtail next time around

hilton83
    Free Member

I fitted a pair of haven carbon bars to my remedy about two months ago, although i know how strong carbon is over alloy i was a little nervous first ride,they do flex but they are SO comfortable, i definately felt i had less arm pump at the end of a long rock strewn descent, plus they are super light and as a bonus look gorgeous.

andyl
    Free Member

£79 – I am guessing you are in the USA then?

I’ve got some sitting here in the box – afraid to put them on incase the aluminium would have done!(and looking out for an Easton stem to go with them).

backnsaddleagain
    Free Member

I am in the states and the price is what is even making this a decision. I was set on aluminum until I saw this deal. I can’t get over my concern that I’ll put a nick in them during a crash that will effectively end their life.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Alloy, or this snap

ruscle
    Free Member

OK so your comparing a bontrager carbon seatpost with an easton carbon bar! IMO a bad comparison. Go with the carbon bars as Easton guaranty them for life where as their alloy bars are only a limited time. Also get the haven stem to match as its a very nice stem and better than my old thomson.

andyl
    Free Member

he’s just linking to the site. That is the top story.

As for damage – a ‘nick’ in any material will eventually cause failure.

A crash that will damage a tough carbon bar will damage an alloy bar and if you dink or bend an alloy bar it should be scrapped anyway.

neninja
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma and went for the Haven carbon bar.

As mentioned above the carbon damps out the high frequency vibration that aluminium bars will pass onto your hands. I certainly didn’t worry about the likelihood of a carbon failure as Easton seem to be supremely confident in the product.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Easton guaranty guarantee them for life

The expected life of the product, not your lifetime.

Have a look at the rest of the carbon failures on there, I wouldn’t want to be on most of them!

This says it all for me

Carbon has proven its performance pedigree. However, carbon ?ber has unique qualities. Unlike metal parts,carbon ?ber parts that have been damaged usually do not bend, bulge or deform; they break. A damaged carbon part may appear normal at a quick glance, but could suddenly fail without warning. Carbon forks,handlebars and stems are most critical.

Northwind

nmdbase – Member

Alloy, or this snap

Don’t see all that many Easton mountain bike bars on there mind.

Someday I’ll set up bustedaluminium.com…

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I had a carbon Answer Pro Taper snap on me a few years ago when I overshot a tabletop and landed on the flat – went with quite a bang and thankfully the rather jagged end missed my arm. It dented my confidence in them somewhat.

With hindsight, I suspect I had overtightened the gear or brake clamps as it broke right next to one of these, so am pondering giving one another try, as a mate had some big offs this year in Les Arcs and he’s running a Monkeylite XC.

br
    Free Member

I’ve the older DH carbons’, not as light as the Havens but seem very strong – 18 months so far and a fair number of spills/crashes.

And on the HT definitely dampen the vibes.

But do buy a Ritchey torq-key while you are at it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Carbon v. Aluminum Bar’ is closed to new replies.