Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Carbon steerer for idiots
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Never had a carbon steerer before what do I need instead of a SFN?

simondbarnes

A carbon steerer bung.

postierich
    Free Member

not a Hope Head Doctor not all carbon steerers are the same diameter so be wary when buying on the inter web

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DiscJockey
    Free Member

As above + you’ll notice that most carbon bungs have a 4-piece wedge as opposed to the 2-piece used by Hope. I assume this spreads the load more evenly. You probably understood what postierich meant, but just in case, he’s referring to the inner diameter, as many carbon steerers have an increased wall thickness compared to metal types and hence the bung diameter needs to be less for carbon, but most steerer outer diameters are 1-1/8″.

Some stem instruction manuals I’ve read recommend that you leave a few mm of carbon steerer protruding and to fit a spacer on top. This ensures that the entire stem clamp is pinching against the steerer, as opposed to the usual method or cutting the steerer so that it’s about 2mm below the top of the stem (to allow room for the top cap).

Also, if you’re fitting the crown race, be a bit more gentle when knocking it down so that you don’t gouge the surface of the steerer tube.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Carbon steerer for idiots’ is closed to new replies.