Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Carbon steerer – Ali start nut sleeve, bonding Q
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Small issue with my star nut sleeve in the CX’er it seems. Inside the steerer there is a thin ali sleeve with the nut set inside it (it’s a one piece system) cap sits on top of the stem and bolt through as normal.

I’ve kinda overtightened it and the sleeve has come unbonded from the inside of the carbon head tube… as i tighten it up now I can feel the sleeve sliding up the steerer tube. I’ve checked this out a few times so know it’s come unbonded from the steerer tube.

Don’t want to stick a star nut down there to expand in the carbon steerer thanks, sooooooo

Do you think I can just rebond the ali sleeve with something like araldite?? or is there something more suitable?

Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

That’s all cervelo give you (they use the same system).

crazybaboon

Just rebond it with araldite, this is how all cervelos are done, they come with the sleve and a little pact of glue, once they steerer is cut to size you glue the sleve in.
    They’ve been know to come lose, you just rebond them.

crazybaboon

Too slow!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ta, thought as much..

It’s on my R5, not the CX’er BTW..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Giant? Had the same with my TCR. Threw away the sleeve. Will I die?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Make sure you tape it down when you re bond it…they have a habit of floating up a bit as they cure.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh, ta!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Carbon steerer – Ali start nut sleeve, bonding Q’ is closed to new replies.