Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carbon seatposts
  • Pieface

Are they ok for regular saddle dropping, or are they best used where height isn’t changed that much.

I’m considering swapping my Thomson for something lighter / flexier but currently my post slips – I think the QR is on the way out. Will taking the saddle up and down (with the post getting splattered in mud) risk wearing a gouge in the carbon, and thus a potential snap, or is carbon a lot less delicate than everyone makes out.

cinnamon_girl

The instruction leaflet with my carbon seatpost specifically says it should not be lowered regularly.

Pieface

What make CG?

I was thinking Easton as they always used to offer a lifetime warranty, don’t think they do anymore.

RealMan
    Free Member

I have no problem using a carbon seatpost on a race bike or a road bike or something, but wouldn’t use one if I wanted to raise and lower it lots. Stick with the thomson.

druidh
    Free Member

Warranty or not, they’re not going to take a lot of lowering and raising.

druidh
    Free Member

There are a lot lighter/flexier posts than a Thomson if it’s just a bit of comfort you are after. Many recommend Titanium.

cinnamon_girl

Er, I think it’s FSA. I will go for an uppy downy at some point.

andrewh
    Free Member

I broke my USE alien aero carbon post, and that was never moved as it was in my TT bike.
    Rather embarrassingly this was at a turbo/spinning session and I ended up in heap on the floor. Could have been worse, could have gone at 40mph in a race…

Pieface

Ok, seems Carbon is out of the question.

Recommendations for a lighter, flexier post than the Thomson, with a bit of layback? I like the look of the EA70

Pieface

Actually balls to the flex, as I doubt I’ll be able to tell the difference.

RealMan
    Free Member

So you just want something lighter then thomson? At what point during a ride do you think, hmmm, my seatpost is a bit too heavy?

Have you already got the saddle all the way back on the rails?

Northwind

My Raceface Next SL has been up and down a lot, it’s fairly marked but doesn’t seem bothered at all. Whether it’s more comfortable or flexible or whatever, I have no idea at all but it weighs nowt and it looks lovely.

househusband

Actually balls to the flex, as I doubt I’ll be able to tell the difference.

You can, really. The Ti post I had a few years ago made the back of a hardtail feel like a short travel FS; now have a carbon Easton (doesn’t get lowered at all) that isn’t quite as forgiving but absorbs lots of ‘buzz’ and makes longer rides on the hardtail much more comfortable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carbon seatposts’ is closed to new replies.