• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Carbon seatpost questions…
  • Euro
    Free Member

Am I right in assuming there’s a bit more ‘give’ in one over an alloy post?

Does this come at the expense of strength?

Are they easily bustified?

Will a cheapo one e.g Planet X Black Head Carbon Seat Post be 4 times more likely to break than a Easton Haven Carbon Seatpost (costs x4).

Do I need a special seatclamp or anything else?

Would like to try one on my steel hardtail to see what difference it would make, but obviously don’t want it to break (or cost loads).

Any experiences/recommendations?

jimilindley
    Free Member

Defo more give, makes quite a comfortable ride.

Ive seen pics of broken ones.

Dont think you need a special clamp

DickBarton

I think it depends on how much post you have showing…I have an 18″ Pace RC-200 F8…it has about a foot of post showing and it is very comfy (for a hardtail) – in days gone by I’d spend all day out in the hills with it and didn’t feel beat up with it.

Next bike was a slightly larger frame and less post and it did feel a bit harsher…

Next bike had a carbon post (but also full bounce) – another long post showing but I couldn’t tell the difference – due to full bounce I guess.

They do bend more than alloy posts, but you don’t ever feel it, they seem plenty strong – unless you are a very heavy person and a very rough rider.

They don’t get greased when putting in frame and you shouldn’t over-tighten the clamp, but otherwise, dad on…

Euro
    Free Member

I was hoping for a bit more comfort, so that’s a 😀 from me.

I’ve broken a few posts in the past (lots actually, but all on bmx) and at this point in time I don’t trust carbon – for no reason other than blissful ignorance. I’m fond of a little airtime and other such foolishness and this bike (456) will get a bit of abuse. I don’t consider myself a ‘rough’ rider and weigh close to 15st.

I’m showing about 180-200mm in cycle mode (20″ frame – 6’4″). Would that be enough for it to make a difference?

fenred
    Free Member

They don’t get greased when putting in frame

Carbon paste??

DickBarton

Carbon paste isn’t grease…

I’m 6’1″, so I’d suggest yes, you would notice an increase in comfort – it isn’t the the seatpost moves noticeably…just during and after a ride, you don’t feel quite so beaten up from the saddle…

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers

So.. do i need carbon paste then?

Also, I typically have my post in three positions on most rides. Down, 100mm or so and up. Is this practical with carbon jobbies?

Sorry for all the Q’s – never thought the thing, that holds the thing you sometimes sit on, required so much thought 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

I just read about the Niner RDO seatpost last night, and they claim that it is designed to flex more than other posts for more comfort. I dunno if that’s true or just marketing spin, but might be worth a look for the OP.

Edit – I wouldn’t buy carbon if you want to raise and lower the saddle very often. You need a dropper seatpost!

Euro
    Free Member

You need a dropper seatpost!

I’ve only just gone QR 😀

The RDO looks lovely and I wish I was in a position to buy one, or a dropper (do they come in 27.2?) but at this moment in time, i’m thinking, $200 for a plastic stick? **** away eff!

br
    Free Member

Be careful putting one in a Ti frame, at least make sure you take it out now and again.

For the record, it took me an awful lot of effort to cut it out and I’ve still got a 1″ section that’s in the seat tube…

SDG I-Beam one – and would absolutely recommend one.

somafunk

Carbon paste is used when fitting carbon seatposts as it aids the “grip” of the seatpost in the seat tube thus enabling a lesser tightening torque on the seatpost clamp, start off at 3nm, if it slips try 4nm, if it slips try 5nm, if it slips try 6nm, it it still slips…… lose weight ya fat ****……..sorry…that was my piss poor attempt at humour….i’ll away and sit on the naughty step for 15mins.

DickBarton

I dunno, I never adjusted my post until I got a dropper…now I never stop!

swingbing
    Free Member

I have a good 200mm showing when climbing, my mate reckons he can see the post flexing. I think it’s very comfy. I’ve never put any carbon paste of anything on it and I am constantly putting it up and down using a quick release. I have broken the chainstays but so far the post is fine.

P20

I’ve got an Exotic carbon post in my 456carbon. I don’t know if it makes any difference to be honest. But it’s a good price, reasonable weight and hasn’t died yet. I don’t alter my seatpost height so it hasn’t worn. I have used carbon paste as it was slipping initially. I would use carbon paste on a steel frame too, it might just help keep the crap out of the seattube

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Carbon seatpost questions…’ is closed to new replies.