Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • carbon seatpost – crush damage
  • brakes
    Free Member

anyone got any pictures of a crush damaged/ pinch fractured carbon seatpost or handlebars?
    my carbon seatpost looks like it has damage to the outer layer of lacquer (or is it resin?) and it just looks cosmetic but I’m concerned that I’ve crush damaged it

brakes
    Free Member

opinions welcomed

brakes
    Free Member

ok then, anyone know a bike shop in London who will be able to give me an answer (a good one) as to whether it’s fecked?

jfeb
    Free Member

A photo might help.

In London, Brixton Cycles or Moose Cycles

But I would have thought, if in doubt replace it

brakes
    Free Member

yeah, I’ll take a photo tonight

hora
    Free Member

I’d try wagging it back and fwd whilst in the frame using the ends of the saddle- get a good bit of seatpost in first. Its abit primitively but if theres a visible split developing then..

brakes
    Free Member

there’s no visible damage to the carbon weave, and doesn’t make any splintering noises when stresed 😀

imagine you’d painted a piece of shiny plastic with a thin layer of gloss paint and it had started to chip a little bit – that’s what it looks like

hora
    Free Member

Delaminated? I have a Easton EC2 post from that delaminated back in 2002. Its still in my daily commuter. Its got to the point where black ‘soot’ (carbon) comes off in your hands etc but no grooves or cracks.

brakes
    Free Member

no, not delamination – I’ll take a picture

hora
    Free Member

What brand is it?

jfeb
    Free Member

It sounds like the clear coat is coming off. This happened to the Easton seatpost on my road bike ages ago and it has been fine ever since. I wouldn’t worry about that.

brakes
    Free Member

It’s a specialized s-works pave one

It sounds like the clear coat is coming off.

that’s what I want to hear!

STATO
    Free Member

yeah sounds like just the clearcoat.

Ive (stupidly) broken an ec70 before due to overtightening. When i first spotted what id done you could feel a ridge around the back of the post where the seatclamp had dug in, later you could see what looked like slight fraying of the fibers as the flex slowly snapped strand after strand. It finally went at kirroughtree, a bad landing off a jump and it felt like i was on my DH bike there was so much flex in the post 🙄 . We managed to pull it out the frame tho as it had still only split on the back half of the post, snapped the bottom bit off, shove it back in and i was good to go.

maxlite
    Free Member

I’ve got the same post on my roadie, same thing happened to mine.

I’ve only got about 4″ of post sticking out, no visible damage to the carbon weave

leftyboy
    Free Member

Get it checked I had a seatpost with ‘copsmetic’ damage that then failed and the shards of carbon were razor sharp!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘carbon seatpost – crush damage’ is closed to new replies.