Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carbon seat post in carbon frame , do i need to grease ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

as above , both new to me , do i need some sort of grease etc ?

cp

Some carbon expoxies can react with grease making it worse!

Your best off using carbon assembly paste – it seems expensive, but you use very little and it’s also useful for putting on stem/bar interfaces.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tacx-carbon-assembly-compound/rp-prod75810

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 Carbon Assembly paste, it’s what it’s for really

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Thank you , thats what im looking for 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Dry or carbon assembly paste. Definitely not grease.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 also with the carbon paste. It helps to reduce the clamping force required. It’s also good with carbon and alloy mix for both the same reason and to help avoid bonding carbon to alloy, which has happened to me.

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

I use fiber grip, helps stop any sliping

plus-one

I’ve got enough tubes/lubes etc of grease … Used light smear of normal Teflon/lithium grease on carbon posts for years on carbon/carbon or alloy to caruin I’m still alive 🙂

sq225917
    Free Member

Well done for giving 5hit advice based on a sample size of 1.

Use assembly paste, that’s what it’s for. Some epoxies do react adversely with some greases.

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with this ^^

Don’t use grease, simples. Personally I install all my posts dry, with no ill effects, but assembly paste (of which Fiber Grip is the Finish Line offering) is the best tool.

rp16v
    Free Member

Always fiber grip of some form ask your lbs they may have some spare saches from new bike builds

plus-one

ok you get your pants pulled down and buy every type of grease out there … Fill yir boots 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

I used to love the challenge of getting a greased swolen carbon seat post out of a carbon frame – when set in its harder to get it all out than even an alu post in a steel frame.

9.99 for fibre grip is alot less than most carbon frames and most shops hourly rate.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is what can happen to an alloy seatpost in a carbon frame

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dSZmbJ]IMG_1443[/url] by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

On One C456, On One seatpost.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aluminum Coupled to Carbon Composite

Aluminum alloys are extremely vulnerable when they are coupled to a carbon composite. Figure 3 shows the anodic and cathodic polarization curves of aluminum alloys and carbon composites, respectively. It is clear that the rate of galvanic corrosion in seawater is controlled by the oxygen reduction reaction. What this means is that any condition that leads to an increase in the rate of oxygen reduction will cause an increase in the rate of galvanic corrosion. During the galvanic corrosion, a white, jelly corrosion product will be formed on the surface of the aluminum. (Learn more about this reaction in An Intro to Pipeline Corrosion in Seawater.)

Science.

eshershore
    Free Member

@stumpym4

Send me a pm with your postal address, I’ll send you some carbon assembly paste for free, we have loads of sachets at giant docklands

mefty
    Free Member

Talcum powder

plus-one

I’m safe I don’t cycle in seawater 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

@PeterPoddy might have mentioned before, but yeah that’s what happened to mine, also in a c456 frame. Easton Havoc post, eaten just like that and took a hell of a lot of effort to free it. Was almost about to cut the post or write off the frame. Reverb in it now with assembly paste and I frequently check the post can be moved and reapply the paste from time to time.

I would add that constantly moving a regular post up and down scrapes off the anodising or any coating on it and could expose the alloy more to the carbon thus reaction is more likely. My Reverbs aren’t moving in the frame generally and the surface isn’t worn much as a result.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carbon seat post in carbon frame , do i need to grease ?’ is closed to new replies.