Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Carbon road rims with normal pads? What will happen?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Just fitted my new carbon wheels to the road bike and would like to ride it on Sunday, but the special pads for the brakes won’t be here till Monday.

What issues if any will I have without them, as I’ve never had carbon wheels before

Don’t expect the wheels to explode or anything, but don’t want to unduly mark the braking surface, it’s due to be dry for the ride but I have at least three 1:4/25% descents to come down so I would like to be able to stop :0)

onandon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it but it’s up to you. Main issue is heat build up and softening of the resin and the tyre comes off the rim.

StuF

I was advised against it, something to do with tiny bits of aluminium being embedded into the pad from your normal rims, then marking the new carbon rims.

I guess you might be ok if they’re new (but non carbon specific) pads

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Worst case you’ll destroy the rims and blow tyres of the rim.

Best case you’ll not be able to stop properly and you might gouge the rims.

Didn’t the wheels come with pads?

simondbarnes

What ghostlymachine said.

cp

Don’t expect the wheels to explode or anything, but don’t want to unduly mark the braking surface, it’s due to be dry for the ride but I have at least three 1:4/25% descents to come down so I would like to be able to stop

Coming down steep roads like that I’d be worried about either a) the lack of friction between standard pad and carbon rim and/or b) heat build up causing damage to the rim.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

dude, you just dropped a shed load of cash on some bling wheels and you are going to ruin them because you can’t wait for the pads?

Can’t you just get some from the LBS?

EDIT: my car has run out of diesel and I can’t get anymore until Monday but I want to drive it on Sunday.

Will it be alright if I put petrol in it?

RustyMac

As above, existing pad material may be contaminated with particles thst could damage the carbon rims.

Pad material also may not be optimal for the carbon rims – it is critical for the carbon rims that they do not get overheated on the brake surface. Should this happen the carbon can suffer from delamination which makes the rims utterly useless.

Rik
    Free Member

Understood – didnt think it’s a great idea either.

They are rims I’ve built up myself rather than complete wheels. I’ll see if I have time (doubt it) to swing by the lbs and see what they have in stock.

As I’ve never used carbon rims before I wasn’t sure if the special pad was to ensure reliable consistent braking rather than protecting the rims aswell.

sputnik
    Free Member

As above,DON’T do it.
    Get some carbon specific pads from LBS if you have to ride them on Sunday.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The carbon pads do both. Protection and consistency.

If your switch wheels back to your old ones, switch pads too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Carbon road rims with normal pads? What will happen?’ is closed to new replies.