• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by anc.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon road bike – helitape or not ?
  • iainc

following on from recent threads, incl this one

I was wondering what is the norm with carbon road bikes, having got one last week and picked up the first of no doubt many stone chip dings within 5 mins of my first ride. I’m not a great believer in taping up my bikes, and generally only have a bit where the Thule 591 clamps, plus cable rub spots etc. Presubamly given the toughness of carbon it’s not really required ? Thanks

rickon
    Free Member

Only on areas where you think you may cause damage – seatstays if you clip your heels on them, or top tube if you swing your leg over like an idiot and catch your cleats (I do this to every bike).

Possibly your crank arms too, they can look like cack if you have foot rub.

Topov
    Free Member

I was just gonna ask this very question!

I usually stick tape around the downtube and chainstays of my MTBs, I reckon I’ll do the same when I take delivery of my Madone.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I do downtube, chainstay and where cable touch the frame.

Tip; When fitting the tape, apply it wet by submerging it in warn water first. This will allow you to re-apply it should you get it wrong and it’s easier to get any air bubbles out too.

anc
    Free Member

I have it on the chain stays and down tube and obvious cable contact points. The down tube on modern road bikes are thick nowadays and more prone to stone strikes, combine that with thin paintjobs and chips are very common.

Use a spray mist when applying the tape and you’ll get zero bubbles and the tape will be almost invisible.

iainc

thanks – think I will do downtube for sure then. so with the spray mist, you just spray to frame so that it is a bit wet, then apply tape (wet as per MM post) ?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

A very weak fairy liquid solution in a spray is best. Squeegee it all out eave it to dry a while though.

iainc

excellent, thanks

anc
    Free Member

so with the spray mist, you just spray to frame so that it is a bit wet, then apply tape

Yep light coat on the frame, you can use water in a spray bottle or mm’s method. I actually used windolene last time as I’d used it to clean any grease from the frame and it worked fine also.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon road bike – helitape or not ?’ is closed to new replies.