Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon Road Bars?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Any good or not worth the upgrade over a light weight alu pair?

If yes any decent and cheap sets out there (std road bars or aero bars(not TT or track)) 🙂

Fanks 🙂

tonyg2003

There is very little weight difference between high spec carbon and alu bars road bars. Carbon road bars “soften” the ride a little and look bling otherwise they are just wallet emptiers 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool – fanks 🙂 I have seen the carbon wraps but I guess that for people who want the carbon look but at a budget price? 😉

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I’ve got Oval Concepts R910 Aergo Carbon bars on my road bike, probably not the lightest carbon bars but very comfy with the flat tops especially when climbing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure about the looks. I tape my bars right upto the stem, as that’s where I like* to keep my hands on a climb, so you can’t see them anyway.

*even having a computer or lights on the bars annoys me!

I like compact bends on a 42cm width with ergo drops, and bontranger just hapened to make some in carbon (race-x-lite) and someone just happened to be selling them at a good price. FWIW they’re significantly lighter than the OEM ones they replaced and feel more solid (oversized Vs the old std ones) yet don’t make my palms go numb after a few hours.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’ll keep my eye out 🙂 I think some ergos are the way to go nearer the summer just Alu vs Carbon questions really – not too worried about weight I guess 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have zipps on my road bike that i bought new on ebay. i bought them for bling and they were very silly cheap, but brand led consumerism aside found i very much like them because of the nice wide flat top.

which incidently, and i did’nt realise this until i read it in robert penn’s ‘its all about the bike’ (excellent read btw) the other day is the chief advantage of carbon bars over alu in that you are not restricted to a tube any longer. he bought cinelli rams i think.

cozz
    Free Member

giant carbon road bars for £45 on ebay, im getting some for my new build

Duc
    Free Member

You don’t have to have carbon bars for a flat top – both 3T (Ergonova) and FSA do flat topped Alu bars.

Frankly I need to lose to much weight myself to warrant shelling out so much on a pair of bars and having to worry about them after every crash (having the tighter bends in than Mtb makes me very wary of them on a road bike as they will not take crashes as well)

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve got FSA K Wings?? can’t really recall, but they’re the ones with very flat tops. Love em, but I’m not as wealthy anymore so no new ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Road Bars?’ is closed to new replies.