Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Carbon rims…
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Any real world difference between the likes of LB / Derby etc and importing my own rims or going to a builder who’s already imported em – or buying some 2nd hand enves if there’s owt about

Maybe looking at em for next year so just starting to look at what’s out there

Tracey

Have a look at Sixth Element wheels, give them a ring and have a chat. You wont go far wrong with them.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I could make a nice sculpture of all the broken ones in the shed 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

I could make a nice sculpture of all the broken ones in the shed

+1

I could do the same with the alu rims though, to be fair

tmb467
    Free Member

Cheers Tracey – I’d seen them and they’re reasonably local. Good to get another opinion

shiny
    Free Member

I have 4 sets, all have been great. Most of my riding is jungle, rocks, roots. They are better imo than the Flow EX they replaced.

I have Light Bike AM rims on my Bronson – built 2 cross with CK hubs
    I have RHC Components rims on my new PP SHan 27 (40mm width) with CK hubs – again 2 cross
    I have a set of Reynolds 29er AM carbon rims on my Pivot LES – hubs are a bit shit3 but rims feels great
    And a set of NEXTIE carbon rims with CK hubs on my Nicolai ION 16

All have been great, square edge rocks make the best sound (not) when you hit them, but generally they seem great if expensive.

Across loose rock and anchored rock i am able to take a far straighter line than with Ally rims, noticeably less flex.

I opt for a 2 cross spoke pattern as it was recommended by the wheel builder i use. He has a pile of cracked ENVE rims in his workshop but none of these.

cheers
    Shiny

Northwind

The advantage of buying pre-imported is basically speed and support… But while overseas delivery isn’t fast, I’ve tested Lightbicycle’s own customer support and found it very good. I got one of their very first mtb rims, and eventually cracked it with a big rock strike after about 3 years- sort of blow that could kill any rim mind, and it’d taken plenty of other big hits, despite weighing basically nowt. So I didn’t mind at all, it’d given great service. (the alu rim it replaced lasted less than 2 years, was heavier, and got used much less hard but still couldn’t cut it)

Out of warranty, and definitely not a warranty job regardless, but I sent them a sadface email and without any pressure they gave me a decent discount off another rim, it was almost 50% of what I’d paid for the rim in the first place. That’s pretty bloody good IMO.

Having said all this, alu rims have come on in leaps and bounds lately and LB prices have gone way up so it’s not as simple an argument any more. I still chose them for my 29er wheels but it wasn’t open and shut. I don’t think I’d pay more to get them from a more local supplier.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have only used LB rims. No issues to report yet in 2 1/2 years of abuse.

mattyfez

My LB’s are holding up fine, ordered them direct. Had to nip tje odd spoke up but that’s normal maintenance really.

timmys

I would recommend Blue Flow Bikes

Really cool to deal with. Presumably out of the same Chinese factory as all the others (I can’t believe there are multiple factories turning out hookless, 35 mm carbon rims). UK based support and cheaper than Light Bicycles for complete wheelsets.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have two sets of 38mm 650b LB rims and like them a lot, no complaints at all. However when I bought them I was choosing between £80 aluminium rims or £120 for the LBs by the time they were in my hands. Since then the exchange rate has made them a chunk more expensive so any replacement is very likely to be aluminium

tmb467
    Free Member

looking more like $180 (or $270 for asymmetric) per rim – plus import duty & vat

and now the exchange rate has tanked its less of a bargain than going to someone who has already imported them (albeit they may now be putting their prices up)

not sure I’d want to really buy 2nd hand carbon tho…so looking like a chat with 6th Element i think

stewartc
    Free Member

Only used LB but went through 3 rims in 8 months so have gone back to alloy for both bikes, however when I did call upon LBs customer service they were good.
    From my experience I would buy local for the support even if there is a premium.

Tracey

With all the four in our family riding we have been lucky to have and compare a few on the same bikes over the same terrain including 4 weeks in the Alps this year. Rovals, LBs, Sixth Element and Superstar, If we had to replace, and taking quality, service, cost, and everything else into account then it would be hard not to pick the Sixth Element ones.

jamcorse

2 pairs of LB rims, 29 and 27.5 (+) very happy.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Out of interest – how much of a weight saving is there to be had going carbon when compared to say a Stans Flow or similar “all mountain” rim? Ta

Northwind

RopeyReignRider – Member

Out of interest – how much of a weight saving is there to be had going carbon when compared to say a Stans Flow or similar “all mountain” rim? Ta

Depends on the exact parts but, my 26ers (30mm LB) saved 150g over a Flow Ex per end. But I’d also say they were a fair bit tougher- I killed a Flow (cracked) and a Flow Ex (one big dent) and I didn’t mind too much, but the LBs got hit every bit as hard and never even winced.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cheers northwind – I do seem to dent flows and the like very easily.

Next question – what sort of price are we looking at for the cheaper end of the market?!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Another on LB’s here 6 months use in the lakes and going well keep tyres up at 30 psi or what could be s pinch flat will be a cracked rim
    Weight wise mine are the 38mm AM 650 on a 160mm travel bike with Pikes etc.
    The rims weighed the same as the narrow stans arch they replaced. Completely changed the profile of the tyres and feel much stiffer. Noticeable riding on off camber sections. The felt different as flex I had risen with and was used to was suddenly gone.
    That felt a bit like the suspension was firmer. As you get used to it I think it becomes s positive thing sharper steering etc.
    price wise the exchange rate has effected things but I’m trying to justify another set for the 29er. Would go back to LB as they seem to be in it for the long term.

timmys

Next question – what sort of price are we looking at for the cheaper end of the market?!

Blue Flow Bikes are £669, that’s with Hope Pro 4 hubs. Extra £100 if you want Sapim CX ray bladed spokes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Carbon rims…’ is closed to new replies.