Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Carbon rigid forks do you get what you pay for?
  • sp
    Free Member

Considering some more carbon rigid 29er forks. I do already have some Carbon Cycles Exotic forks fitted to another build but just wonder what the difference is if any with the higher priced options as I do not have anything to compare them with? – Indeed is all carbon fiber equal?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

four different forks reviewed here

rigid

sp
    Free Member

Cheers Ill have a read

Northwind

I really have nothing bad to say about the Exotics, I’ve used some much more expensive kit and none of it really distinguished itself (though, some do look nicer, and some are a bit lighter). Whether it’s a fluke or not I don’t know but Exotic pretty much nailed what I wanted from a rigid- strong enough to just get on with things, stiff enough to work without being too stiff. (any idiot can make a bike component stiff)

takisawa2

Have you thought about steel…

IanW
    Free Member

Exotics + 1 why pay more?

bigdean

Exotics here aswell. Have stood upto a fair bit of abuse and have been faultless.

sp
    Free Member

They would be for my Surly Krampus, already running steel, thought Id put it on a diet!

monkeyboyjc

I bought a set of carbon forks from china for £70 – they’ve not exploded (yet!)

sp
    Free Member

They sure are nice looking, do you have a linky. Would need to accommodate a 3″ Knard with mud on it 🙄

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Hmmm Chinese carbon forks for £70 are relevant to my interests…. A link pleases sir 😉

lightman
    Free Member

They’re not £70, but I am planning on getting some £104 Hylix Forks when I get my new 29’er.
    Would be interested too, in knowing where the £70 ones are from.

monkeyboyjc

oop’s not been on here for a while – i’ll dig out the link – they were direct from Alibaba….. (import fees were another £20)

here you go – looks like they were just over £70 (£78.97) so just under £100 all in 😳 .

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FLX-FK-008-Full-carbon-3k-Matt-matte-mountain-bike-bicycle-MTB-29er-fork/564621768.html

The free postage took about 2 week to get to the uk then got held up in customs for another 4 days before getting to my local parcel force depo – so around 3 weeks all in which is pretty good.

I’ve done just over off road 50miles (+ another 20 or so road miles) with no issues at all so far – they have taken a bit of a hammering on some of the downs trying (and failing) to keep up with the full sus guys.

Finish wise its pretty good, one 2mm x 5mm section has a bit too much resin, you can see the green in it. But other than that its great. Its full carbon inc steerer all the way up -no actual weights (as I forgot to weigh it prior to fitting) but its around the 5-600g mark. The drop outs are quite thick ali (bonded in) so I had to use a front qr which is slightly longer than most (happened to have one in my spares box). Also the 1st lot of disc brake bolts I used had too high a profile so rubbed on the disc brake mount as there is a fair bit of carbon wrapped around it holding it on.

monkeyboyjc

sp – I’ve a 2.3 in there at the mo – a 3″ would be tight imo.
    there is around 8-10mm clearance.

lightman– you’ll be paying at least another £20 in tax on those Hylix forks

Northwind

I’ve got a set of the Hylixes- forgot they’re 29er forks 😳 Slightly wary of recommending them, they’re scary light, but also there were some suspicious looking wee voids in the steerer when I cut it (which I have dealt with by pretending they don’t exist). But for all that they’ve done nothing wrong at all.

Oh aye, escaped the import duty which I am aware makes me wrose tahn starbuck$$$$.

lightman
    Free Member

Northwind, I was/am slightly concerned about the weight of the forks, but when you consider a light pair of road forks are around 300 grams and those are around 550, that is a lot of extra carbon for strengthening, well, thats what I keep telling myself!

monkeyboyjc, its usually 50/50 on whether you get charged at customs, it all depends on what the seller puts on the package!
    I got my Chinarello without any extra charges because it was apparently a $35 gift 🙂

T666DOM

I’ve got the same set of Chinese forks, in the glossy carbon finish, £60 delivered less than 2 weeks from ordering. They’ve been fautless I like them that much in toying with selling the Fox 29 ctd floats that I bought.

I’ve managed to get a 2.4 chunky monkey from on one with room to spare.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Carbon rigid forks do you get what you pay for?’ is closed to new replies.