• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carbon Rigid Fork help please
  • genesis
    Free Member

Have been looking at On-One, Nuke Proof and Element etc found this lot too, seem mighty cheap to me Carbon Cycles

Any suggestions, weight not an issue as I'm about 15st with all my riding kit and they need to take a 203mm front rotor as I'm running Hope M4's so that rules out White Brothers as they spec a max of 160mm.

james
    Free Member

White brothers, superstar, nukeproof, exotica, element are all the same, just with different stickers

Bontrager are different
    On-one is different
    Pace/DT Swiss is different

I'm 15st and run a 160mm rotor in a '03 Hope mini on my XC hardtail. Okay so the power is lacking, but given that you'll have a rigid fork up front, will you really need a 203mm rotor + M4?

cookeaa

FoamX3 technology increases the impact strength of carbon fibre by up to three times by inserting low density foam during the manufacturing process.

😆 😆 foam core then, like evey home built, vacuum bagged, bound to fail frame…

you can find “Exotic” branded Ally and CF crap all over fleabay, seems to be winging it’s way over from China…

genesis
    Free Member

Just too tight to buy a new rotor and caliper mount 😳

cookeaa

Good point…

Why do you need an 8” 4 pot on what I assume to be a 29er, rigid XC, Nancy bike?

At 15 stone I doubt an M4 with a 6” rotor would struggle to stop you…

mtbfix

I recall that Pace are doing a limited run of their old carbon forks at the old prices. This would be my first choice.

Here – http://www.pacecycles.com/newsstory.asp?id=280

genesis
    Free Member

Its my ss 26er hardtail.

james
    Free Member

160mm rotor for £9, posted

Caliper mount? Is the caliper IS mount? If so, is it not a 160mm direct mount to the fork? Though which of these carbon forks are IS mount (and not post mount?)

cookeaa

Its my ss 26er hardtail.

Even less need for a huge comedy rotor then…

The fork you linked to is described as; "For 29er 700c wheels" in the first line of the description, therefore I thought it was safe to assume you were using 29" wheels…

genesis
    Free Member

Trying to type while my toddler is having a nap on my lap!

disben

i have that exact fork on my rigid geared kinesis – works fine – im slightly heavier using xt 160 disks – not had a problem! also running 700c wheels on it – works absolutely fine!

ajantom

foam core then, like evey home built, vacuum bagged, bound to fail frame…

you can find “Exotic” branded Ally and CF crap all over fleabay, seems to be winging it’s way over from China…

So we should be willing to pay double the amount for something exactly the same but with 'White Brothers' or 'Nukeproof' on the sticker instead?

You seem to assume that as it's made in China it's inherently badly made. Ummm, sorry to disappoint you but almost everything on your bike is made in the far east.

I have the Aluminium version of their forks, pretty bombproof so far.

cookeaa

Ahhh I see what you’ve done there, tarred me with the “Dislike an eastern manufactured product must be some sort of bigot” brush. Clever, original…

Fact of the matter is vast quantities of “Exotic” branded parts have been turning up on fleabay lately, the prices seem quite low, especially for composite kit, cheaply produced composites wouldn’t get my vote, especially when they appear to employing the same level of technology as half arsed hobbyists, dressing it up as a groundbreaking new production method…

Cheap fork; great! Cheap composite fork no thanks, can you honestly tell me you want to compromise for a measly £80-£100 on a component for which failure can mean new teeth?

I understand that not everything from the East is shite, most of it is excellent, but as with any country there is some bound to be some shite produced and exported and this particular brand smacks of it (in my opinion, which I’m quite willing to accept is not always right), having said that I am tempted by one of their cheap Ally stems for my road bike, and am perfectly willing to be proven wrong (By proper comparative destruction tests)…

wwaswas

so you'd buy a welded alloy stem from these people but don't trust them to glue carbon tubes into alloy…

genesis
    Free Member

Besides wft is the issue with me running a 203 rotor? Could start a whole debate about 'why do you need'……….

AverageMark
    Free Member

Erm – back on track i ran an On One carbon jobbie on the front of my bike for the summer and raced on it/ messed around on it. Was worried at first cause i was 15 stone but hell the thing was pretty indestructable. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the need came up. In fact it's moved on to someone else on here as well. When i looked i think the On One was the only one without a rider weight limit.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Well I run one of these "cheap bits of rubbish" 🙄 Exotic forks on my Genesis io with a 180mm rotor and it's great! I don't understand what the issue is with them? I mean just because it doesn't say White Brothers or Nukeproof it's therefore garbage?? I have rode black routes no probs on my super jey cheap forked rigid ss with no probs. Buy the exotic one and enjoy matey. With regards to the max rotor size I have no idea but I have no issues with a 180mm.

TheGingerOne

I would assume that a 203mm rotor puts far more stress, strain, torsional twist (or whatever the technical terms that should be used here)on the fork leg and dropouts than the fork is designed to cope with. There will be a limit at which point the fork will fail. You will be much nearer those limits with a bigger rotor. Is that a risk you are willing to take?

dobo
    Free Member

running exotic ones here, i,m a fairly frequent and aggressive rider and they are on my bike for the start of winter and some cx races.
    i cant fault them and i'm a bit of a carbon hater after seeing some nasty handlebar issues

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Rigid Fork help please’ is closed to new replies.