Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • carbon post stuck in steel frame… any cunning plans?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

USE sumo post stuck in RM blizzard frame…. ideally I don’t want to trash either of them 😯 , but by preference, the post would die first.

I’ve tried reasonable force, but not mullered it with a hammer or twisted it out with a vice yet.

Any bright ideas?

Dave

RealMan
    Free Member

Since when does asking STW come before using unreasonable force? Go give it a proper pull.

wwaswas

muller it with a hammer or twist it out with a vice.

Chances are that the carbon’s knackered already (which is why it’s stuck).

alfabus
    Free Member

Asking on STW comes because I am at work, whereas it is at home.

I’m hopefully moving to my dream man-cave house soon, so will be getting a big bench vice which should make things easier… just wondered if someone knew of some haemorrhoid cream like substance or technique which would magically shrink the carbon out of the frame 🙂

Dave

t-p26
    Free Member

Hacksaw,chisel,new seatpost you know what to do 😉

Some people may not see this as constructive…lighten up

tomaso
    Free Member

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Put it in a hot oven for a few thousand years (180-200°c or gas mark 5 should be fine). Remove and leave to cool for 10-20 mins on a wire rack.

Tip it upside-down and diamonds should pour from the seat tube. Fact.

BigJohn

2-part carbon masts are notoriously prone to getting stuck. We always get a couple of blokes at either end then shake the mast up and down while we twist. It’s usually bits of grit that wedge.

I’d soak it with 3-in-1 penetrating oil and then find a way of applying a big lever. Knocking it in a bit first to unstick it would be a good idea.

alfabus
    Free Member

will the penetrating oil make the carbon swell? I’m sure I read something like that somewhere? Happy to be wrong about this as it would make life a bit easier.

Dave

BigJohn

I believe grease will get into the weave over time, but I don’t know about a half day soaking with penetrant spray (which isn’t actually oil).

julioflo
    Free Member

Thread HiJack – very sorry, hope that is not bad etiquette.
    I now have 2 steel frames with alu seat tubes stuck in them, Mk1 PA and old steel stumpjumper. Have tried WD40 and reasonable force on both [smacking seat with mallet]. I am happy to loose the seat tubes, so what to try next?

wwaswas

grip head of seatpost in vice and use frame as a lever.

Sheldon Brown has a lot of suggestions, some more destructive than others.

BadlyWiredDog

I now have 2 steel frames with alu seat tubes stuck in them, Mk1 PA and old steel stumpjumper. Have tried WD40 and reasonable force on both [smacking seat with mallet]. I am happy to loose the seat tubes, so what to try next?

Caustic soda – really nasty stuff, melts alumium quite effectively, doesn’t damage steel or ti. I got a bottom bracket with a sheared off collar thing stuck in a steel frame out like this. It’s a bit last resort and you’ll need to mind your paintwork and your skin, eyes etc, but it does the job.

On the carbon front, the good news is that there’s a special penetrating stuff designed to loosen carbon fibre, but the bad news is that I also have a carbon post jammed in a steel frame and it didn’t help. Sorry.

julioflo
    Free Member

Thanks for advice guys. Will be using the work vice tomorrow on the PA!

BigJohn

WD40 isn’t all that effective for unsticking things. Penetration fluid is better.

Shackleton

Personally I’d pour boiling water over the seat tube where the post is stuck and hope the expansion of the steel would free it up enough to be able to wrench it out. If it didn’t shift then use plasticine or similar to make a funnel around the seat tube / post join, fill it with penetrating oil, leave overnight to soak. In the morning repeat hot water trick and see if that helps.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘carbon post stuck in steel frame… any cunning plans?’ is closed to new replies.