Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon post damage- shim?
  • hora
    Free Member

Easton carbon post- at the point where it meets the plastic shim it looks like it has melted(!) – underneath this area there is a vertical ‘fissure’ in the material. Its slipped a couple of times (I only found this when I removed to apply Fiber paste). I havent overtightened but could it be?! Thoughts?

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/30625376@N06/15906630015/

munrobiker
    Free Member

Looks like overtightening to me, it’s been crushed surely? The shim just seems to have caused more damage than there would otherwise have been without one.

weeksy

Bin the post, but ffs fix that wall issue!

scotroutes

Overtightened. New post time. Use some of that £8 carbon paste when fitting the next one and save yourself a bit ofbmoney.

hora
    Free Member

Mental because I only tightened enough so the saddle couldnt be twisted. Ive got a 9yr old easton carbon post thats delaminated but stayed good thats been dropped/raised and tightened countless times. No damage. This new one even states its strengthened to prevent crush!

scotroutes

Any particular reason you’re using a shim and not a wider seatpost? Going for narrower = more comfy perhaps?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Did you use a torque wrench, or did you just figure ‘that’s good enough’?

trail_rat
    Free Member

He said ‘ till the post didnt spin any more’

Of course it didnt spin any more – its oval 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Did you use a torque wrench, or did you just figure ‘that’s good enough’?

tighten til it cracks or the thread strips, then back off half a turn.

Having got one of those Ritchey torque keys (set at 5nm, suitable for bars, stems etc) I’m surprised how much torque that is, I reckon I’ve always used less than the maximum on bars and stems and considerably less on the seatpost (but then I am a lightweight).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon post damage- shim?’ is closed to new replies.