Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carbon or Ally – will I notice? (road bike content)
  • skydragon
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting a road bike for general training and also enjoying some long rides out in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside.

Last time I sat on a road bike I was 18 and that was a few years ago….things have probably changed a bit.

I’m after spending as little as possible, but still want to get something that is good quality and has Shimano 105 as a minimum. I’ve got my eye on a Canyon Endurace AL, but I’m curious to know whether it’s worth shelling out another £400 for the carbon frame version.

The Endurace AL 6.0 and Canyon Endurace CF 7.0 appear to be basically the same bike spec, but for the frame (headset, stem and BB are also different)

I’m looking to keep the bike for at least a few years and want the bike to be as good and comfortable a ride as possible (within a budget) will the carbon frame be that much better, over the Ally version?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Carbon or Ally – will I notice?

Probably not.

will the carbon frame be that much better, over the Ally version?

Unlikely.

The Endurace AL 6.0 and Canyon Endurace CF 7.0 appear to be basically the same bike spec, but for the frame (headset, stem and BB are also different)

You get a full carbon fork with the CF too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I gave up. I think I’m getting a steel one

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

right now, you have no idea what kind of roadie you’ll turn into.

dedicated KOM chaser? / sportivista? / gnarly audaxer? / lost-lane explorer? / commuter?

etc.

i’m not sure it’s a great idea to drop a load of money on this before you *really* know what you want.

(basically, at some point in the near future, you may well want to fit bigger tyres, racks and or mudguards)

example: you say ‘long rides out in the beautiful yorkshire countryside’ – i’d be an idiot to say you definitely needed a Cannondale Supersix Hi-mod.

spend about £700, get something you like the look of. get an ally frame, carbon forks, don’t ignore Sora (it’s reliable and cheap), room for 32mm tyres, discs or not (your choice, whatever).

then ride it a lot to find out what you *really* want.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have a look at the aluminium Cannondale Synapse – surprisingly comfortable for an alu bike with some spring from those stays.

I bought a Genesis Equilibrium which is decent steel but it was actually the titanium seatpost that made it comfy and ‘zingy’, but lost a lot of that when I changed to a carbon post.

The aluminium Synapse had some of that same zingy feel over pothole edges, etc.

And get the right size as well for comfort – get the wrong size and you will be forever fiddling and changing bits – not worth it – just get it right now, with a 105 setup, and don’t spend anymore on it.

Some carbon bikes are very stiff and uncomfortable.

If in London I would recommend Swift Cycles.

ctk
    Free Member

Full carbon fork is noticeable Imo. I personally would rather an aluminum frame at a lower price point (£1000ish).

tillydog
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RG5dztrXM[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

I hired an alu Trek in SA recently and rather liked the feel of the frame, it wasn’t uncomfortable at all. Quality alu frames are good.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Mrs Wachowchow bought me my first foray into the world of curly bars a few weeks ago. 45 now, and like yourself I hadn’t ridden curly bars since I was around 18 years old.

She grabbed me an ex demo Kona Jake. Nothing too flashy, but all nice kit and it goes like the wind compared to my, too small for me, ex commuter with risers. I have put some 32mm armour plated tyres on it and some spiky flat pedals.

There are some real nice bargains out there for dipping your toe into the water. I already have hydraulic brakes and a steel frame in the upgrade path but in no hurry at the moment.

dragon
    Free Member

Just watch the GCN vid posted above, it tells you everything you need to know. Far more informative than anything you’ll find or read on here.

epicsteve
    Free Member

When I replaced my old aluminium road bike (Giant OCR) with a carbon one (Boardman Team Carbon) I was quite surprised at how much more comfortable the carbon bike was. Not sure how much of that was the carbon frame and/or forks or other factors though. I’ve got two road bikes now, both carbon (the other is a Specialized Roubaix), and both more comfortable than any of the steel or aluminium road bikes I’ve had previously.

taxi25
    Free Member

If you can afford the extra go for the Cf. Nothing wrong with the alloy Canyon but the Cf will give you a subtlety nicer ride. I’ve ridden alloy and Cf Canyons and there is a difference, don’t believe people on here who say there isn’t . £400 better that’s for you to decide. Personally I always get the best bike I can afford, for me it adds to my enjoyment of cycling. For others just riding is important, they care little for what they ride. That’s great but some have a tendency to sneer a bit at others who like nice bikes and kit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

example: you say ‘long rides out in the beautiful yorkshire countryside’ – i’d be an idiot to say you definitely needed a Cannondale Supersix Hi-mod.

spend about £700, get something you like the look of. get an ally frame, carbon forks, don’t ignore Sora (it’s reliable and cheap), room for 32mm tyres, discs or not (your choice, whatever).

then ride it a lot to find out what you *really* want.

On the other hand, some people don’t wan’t a comfortable cruiser, they want a race bike even if they’re not racing. A bit like going for a drive around “the beautiful Yorkshire countryside”, in a Lotus Elise or a Ford Mondeo. I’ve got a bike with 32mm tyres, an it is very comfortable, but it’s just not as involving/fun/responsive/fast (or if you like big tyres the racer is twitchy/tiring/draining/sketchy).

I’d go aluminium. I’ve ridden new carbon bikes back to back against my (now 12 years old!) aluminium racer, and TBH there is a difference, but it’s not enough to make me want to buy a new bike. And even if forced into buying a replacement I’m not sure I’d pay the extra, spending the extra on some Chinese carbon rims would make more of an impact on speed and (lets be honest) looks.

Ohh, and if it’s a whim, go secondhand, my Cannondale only cost me £300 12 years ago! OK, in the meantime every part has been replace with carbon, dura ace, Ritchey WCS, an handbuilt wheels, but it’s still the same frame going strong. An if I didn’t like it then the basic bike still goes for £250-300 on ebay 12 years later, how’s that for depreciation!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good aluminium is better than cheap carbon.

skydragon
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys!

atlaz
    Free Member

I have carbon and alu frames. Neither is more comfortable than the other and although I can tell the difference between the two, I couldn’t say which is “better” (although the alu frame is a CAAD10 so it’s a good one).

nickc

when I moved from an Aluminium bike to a carbon, one, I could straight away tell the difference between them. Now I can’t remember how the Ali one rode, and the carbon bike feels, well, like a road bike. It’s a nice bike, I don’t think I’d mind if it was Ali, or steel for that matter.

Agreed, that vid pretty much sums it up

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good video that. Rode one of those alu Emonda’s for a couple of weeks on holiday a few months ago. I’d be very happy with one of those for the price.

I’ve ridden a fair few alu and carbon bikes. I can’t say there’s a carbon or Alu bike “feel”, they’re just all different. Now steel on the other hand… 😉

edhornby

Regardless of the frame material, make sure it fits you properly. Road bikes are ace by the way (all bikes are:)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carbon or Ally – will I notice? (road bike content)’ is closed to new replies.