Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carbon monoxide alarm. Where to fix?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Multi fuel stove in the lounge, is it best to put the alarm in the actual room or just outside the door.. Not sure how sensitive they are and don’t want it going off every time I open the stove door.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I may be wrong – but I believe its near or at least on the way to your bedrooms.

#Edit – Well ours came with a leaflet to that effect.

cb

I was told that it had to be on the same wall (or close to) as the fire. This guy was a bit of a tool so he may be wrong…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Update / retraction – ours actually says “Fit in a central location in your home. Do not fit above or near your fire. Fit at head height.”

wrightyson
    Free Member

Head height? First thing I’d have done is stick it on the ceiling! Was going to get one with a display on so I could keep an eye on it and whether it was affected with length of time the fire had been lit.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

“Head height” – yep: thats what ours says. Which is branded “Kidde”.

footflaps

Avoid edges of rooms / lights as you don’t want drafts / convection currents near it as they may stop CO collecting at a high enough density to trigger it. Our is in the middle of the kitchen ceiling (boiler is in kitchen).

thegreatape
    Free Member

EDIT That might be bollocks actually I’ll just delete it.

Flaperon

Between the bedrooms and the potential CO source. Close enough to the bedrooms that it’ll wake you in the night.

Any height will be OK*, for convenience probably bunging it on the ceiling with the smoke alarm is fine. Or replace the current smoke alarm with a jack of all trades model.

* Same atomic weight as nitrogen.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Mine were from Wilkos last week. Not Kidde, but another make I cant remember. Anyhow they were £20 each and the bumpf said no less than 30cm from the wall and where possible on the ceiling. If fitting in rooms away from the fuel burning device place them at breath height, so I presume on the wall?

I fitted one at the top of the landing ceiling between bedrooms (boiler is upstairs) and one in the living room ceiling about a metre from the gas fire. Hopefully i’ll never need to use them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I get mixed up between carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide but if this is the detector required by part J of building regs when a solid fuel burner is fitted then there will be some very explicit instructions with it. Same room, above any door or window openings, specific range of distance from the burner or the ceiling/wall. It will all be in the leaflet with the detector.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The brand makes no difference.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carbon monoxide alarm. Where to fix?’ is closed to new replies.