Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Carbon HT 29er… opinions sought on a few possibilities
  • welshfarmer

Looking to possibly buy a new carbon HT for mountain bike orienteering duties. Should be lightish but still capable of riding fairly techy stuff like Black Mountain single track descents/Brecon Beast type events. Thus must be reasonably durable. My main criteria is that it must come via one of my local bike shops as I really want to support them and should anything happen to the frame I need to feel like I have options. However, this does somewhat narrow my choices to the following brands

Scott (Scale?)
    Trek
    Giant
    Focus (Raven?)
    Whyte (29-c?)

Not wishing to spend more than 2K but happy to upgrade as and when ( I have quite a bit of nice kit on my 26er I can transfer over other than the obvious wheels and forks), does the collective have any opinions & experiences with any of the above.

Currently leaning towards a Whyte 29-C if anyone has one and is happy to share experiences.

Cheers

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Merida have a 2015 Big Nine Carbon 6000 out next month for £1850 with SIDs and SLX, and a lifetime warranty on the frame.
    Big.Nine 6000

I’ve got the team version and its AWESOME!

mboy
    Free Member

The Whyte 29C is fantastic. Spec not the best for £2k, but one of the best (if not the best) frames for certain.

Also worthy of a special mention is the KTM Myroon and Aera models. Where are you based? There’s an increasing number of KTM dealers out there now. Anyway… The Myroon is on a par with all the others you mention and generally comes with a better spec for the money. The Aera is killer VFM as essentially it’s the same frame as the Myroon just with regular QR dropouts rather than 142×12 back end. If you’re anywhere near Worcestershire I can show you mine, they’ve also got a huge stand at the bike show today.

johnnystorm

Ignoring your main requirements entirely….

Lurcher, forks, wheels & tyres and swap all your nice bits over. Why pay full rrp for ropey finishing kit, etc you don’t need?

dpfr

I am very happy indeed with my new Whyte 29CS. I think it is very bored with me as a rider though- I suspect I don’t ride to its limits, or even close to them, but it’s a fabulous boy’s toy

offthebrakes
    Free Member

At least 5 Whyte 29C’s at the Gorrick orienteering event a couple of weeks ago, including mine.

Not too many rocks round that way (Basingstoke), but took mine to Snowdonia in July and it was plenty capable there, although I have got the top spec model.

Must try and get to one of the Black Mountains events next year!

carbonfiend
    Free Member

+1 for Lurcher with what u save on frame buy really nice wheels forks etc. My build with SIDs mixture of XTR/XT, Stans wheels with AC hubs and decent finish kit came to roughly 2k

chum3
    Free Member

Love my 29CS… Perfect for southern riding and xc racing I get up to.

grizedaleforest

Another Whyte 29C owner here (2013 model). To be honest I’m not enough of a rider to get the best from it. But, just occasionally, I get my speed, balance and everything else just right – then the bike flies and I feel very happy and very pleased with myself 🙂

welshfarmer

Wow, thanks for all the positive comment so far. Seems there is a lot of love for the Whyte 29ers. To those who suggested buying frame fork and wheels, it has certainly been considered many times, however, my partner sometimes rides the 26er so I would need to keep it as a complete bike for her so would look to swap components rather than strip the old girl down.

For those who asked I am in Abergavenny area. Seems that Merida would be possible via Drovers in Hay and I know Biped in Brecon do KTM stuff so could also be an option. However, both those towns, although only about 20 miles away from me, might as well be on the other side of the world when you need something urgent.

So thanks for all the input, the Whyte certainly seems to be top of the list at present. The local shop just got a 29CS in my size for an employee to race. I am going to give it a good test ride as soon as the thing is up and ready to see how it feels.

Cheers

drovercycles
    Free Member

Beaten to it but was going to say Merida carbon hardtails are looking very good for 2015 and will be available soon.

Don’t know if you’d consider a 650b option but Saracen Mantras are available in carbon and would be a cracking bike for the local trails.

Looks like you have more than a few options to consider!

adsh
    Free Member

I have had a 29C since April.

Best bike I’ve ever had. Allowed me to do the Manx 100 on ground I would ordinarily want a short travel FS for.

It’s fast, comfortable, very confidence inspiring, descends like a demon, corners well and climbs too. Wondering why I bought a Spearfish frame now.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trek Superfly hardtail and really rate it, the 9.7 would be on budget.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

29C in the classifieds a week or so back (Vince)

welshfarmer

Medium unfortunately. PLus would never feel comfortable buying a carbon bike 2nd hand. Maybe irrational but tis what it is

njee20
    Free Member

What this thread doesn’t have, is pictures to support the assertions that the bike everyone owns is of course the best choice. To that end, here’s my Superfly, to inspire you!

MSP

I would suggest doing a spreadsheet with, TT length stand over etc first trying to work out what you want compared with your current bike.

I had my heart set on a grand canyon CF last year, but the dimensions didn’t work for me, ended up getting a santa cruz highball (in aluminium to bring the cost back down) and it is a stunning bike I am really really happy with. The xl canyon didn’t have enough standover, the L was shorter than I wanted. Only problem with the SC is the head angle was too steep for what I wanted, so I fitted a works components angleset and the bearings in the WC are absolute shite.

eshershore
    Free Member

Photo fail!

njee20
    Free Member

Is it? 😳

Displays fine for me!

dobo
    Free Member

I can see it, the cassette being bigger than your chainring is just wrong to look at 😉

wynne
    Free Member

Not carbon, but I love my ti Litespeed Cohutta. Not maybe as light as some carbon but nice and confidence inspiring around the trails of North Wales.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

+Superfly.

bol

To go with the stw tradition of ignoring the question and recommending what you own, I’d suggest the medium Kinesis Sync frame in the classifieds if it hasn’t gone yet. Amazing ti frame and at a ridiculously good price. You wouldn’t have to compromise your build either.

njee20
    Free Member

I can see it, the cassette being bigger than your chainring is just wrong to look at

It’s bigger than the bloody (160mm) disc rotor too!

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Just got myself a nice deal on a 2015 Whyte 29-C from my local shop, only been out on 3 rides so far but very impressed with it and the matte black and bright green paint job looks amazing.

I’ve replaced some of the stock Whyte parts at the outset and have put on some weight weenie 29’er carbon wheels, Easton Haven carbon bars, EC90 carbon post, Specialized Romin Evo Pro carbon saddle (170g), 70g Quaxar disk rotors and replaced the stock tyres with some Rocket Ron 2.25 Evo Pacestar, it’s down to 21 lbs now and feels proper quick. I’m also impressed with how it feels descending, very planted and more confidence inspiring than you’d imagine an xc focused hardtail to be, maybe some of that is down to the slack ish (for a 29’er xc bike) 69 degree headangle.

The only negative for me is that the rear brake hose goes via the downtube and under the bottom bracket – I wish it avoided this and went via the left seatstay but that’s just my personal preference and a minor gripe.

I’d thoroughly recommend considering it on your list!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The only negative for me is that the rear brake hose goes via the downtube

got to be really with a chainstay mounted caliper… which is nicer 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Carbon HT 29er… opinions sought on a few possibilities’ is closed to new replies.