• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carbon handlebars – your experiences please
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Have previously been put off carbon bars by the old horror stories of sudden catastrophic failure – but I'm guessing (er..hoping!) that quality & manufacturing techniques have moved on in the last few years.

Eastons with CNT look like the obvious choice, but I'm not that keen on their shape, so have been looking at FSA and RaceFace – not sure what their reputation for carbon bars is like though – Can anyone enlighten please?

druidh
    Free Member

I have 3 sets of carbon bars – Easton, FSA and Pro. They're handlebars. You bolt stuff on them and use them to steer your bike.

nickc

Only ever used Easton, but in 8+ years or so of using them, I've never so much as dented one. Only bits of carbon I've seen busted were seat posts, and TBH I've seen plenty of bust seat posts of all sorts of materials not to think that carbon was necessarily the reason…

Buy with confidence form well known names

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I use them all the time, on my road bike, and my Heckkler.

The only reason I've changed is that you can't (AFAIK) Get realy wide flat bars, like the Nukeproof Warheads I've started to use.

Never had any issues- and I'm no lightweight jeycore rider…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Azonic, Bontrager and Easton here, no worries at all. Used to have an Answer but didn't survive the pipe cutter.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Got Easton CNT on one bike and Race Face on two bikes.

All had a lot of abuse and have been faultless so far…

Take care to inspect them for damage regularly, not just the bits you can see but also under grips and clamps and use a torque wrench for peace of mind and you'll be fine.

I'm also pretty convinced that they are more comfortable than alu bars, based on relative levels of hand pain – nowadays it doesn't bother me but it used to.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

No problems at all & they look good!
    I woulnd't buy cheap ones, as really don't like the idea of cheap carbon.
    I'm running Bontrager on one bike & Raceface on another & never had any problems.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Never had any issues- and I'm no lightweight jeycore rider…

That's what I like to hear 🙂 Last time I looked at carbon bars, they were all narrow xc racer type stuff – which isn't really my style.

ojom
    Free Member

Teetoosugars trusts carbon sooo much he is getting a carbon cx frame. not JUST bars.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Take care to inspect them for damage regularly, not just the bits you can see but also under grips and clamps and use a torque wrench for peace of mind and you'll be fine.

I'm also pretty convinced that they are more comfortable than alu bars, based on relative levels of hand pain – nowadays it doesn't bother me but it used to.

Ta for the advice, I'll dig the torque wrench out. Seem to remember reading/hearing someone else who said they're more comfortable for their stiffness than a alu bar – this is exactly what I'm after if possible; something that's stiff & wide enough for a bit of trail wrestling, but not a real palm buzzer.

marsdenman
    Free Member

>93kg of stupidity, riding Bonty Carbon bars, stem and seatpost…..(there are other bits connecting them…..) no worries, never think about it at all…. 😀

br
    Free Member

I'd avoiding them too, but plumped for a pair of Easton DH's last week – wanted over 700mm wide – and while 222g which are heavier than the XC ones they have a lifetime warrenty.

Rode today, feel good.

stusummerside
    Free Member

Iv had no problems with my easton carbon bars nice and light but very strong 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

busted carbon although most of the breaks are from crashes, many are arguably from incorrect fitting

njee20
    Free Member

Yep I've used Easton, Bontrager, New Ultimate, Race Face, Ritchey, MaxM, FSA, the MaxM ones cracked, but they were shocking and all cracked, not a sniff of trouble with any of the others.

KT1973
    Free Member

RaceFace Next No problems so far

pinches
    Free Member

been on the same pair of bontrager race X lites since 2006 with no problems, although they are looking a bit "tired" now.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Titec on my fuel ex, no problems whatsoever, and they were only 35 quid newoff eBay – over half price!

Earl
    Free Member

Can you recycle carbon?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carbon handlebars – your experiences please’ is closed to new replies.