Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Carbon handlebars spontaneous combustion?!
  • swingbing
    Free Member

A quick google and it seems unlikely!

…but I go home today to find a small area of the laminate on my carbon bars had been burn’t, exposing the top layer of weave underneath and scorching the edge of my shifter window.

Bike not kept in direct sunlight and no magnifying glasses were present!

Has it been vandalised or is there some other explanation?!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Left outside on bonfire night?

swingbing
    Free Member

Good thinking but alas no. It’s been kept inside while I’ve been away for a couple of days.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has to be accident/vandalism.

yunki
    Free Member

a mystery indeed..

swingbing
    Free Member

Ahh, that’s what it’ll be, hot rock burns from smoking the pipe whilst riding. I must lay off the crack.

scaredypants

on a bike with exploding 29er rims ? – you’re lucky to be alive

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I took a chunk out of one of my carbon bars when a headset remover hit it. Got right down under the top varnish and into the weave.

Filled it with araldite and carried on using it with no problems. I’ve scratched all the other carbon bars I’ve had with various depths of scratch and no problem there either.

If its just the lacquer then don’t worry about it.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ahhh, but that wasn’t the question….

You haven’t had any solvents or battery acid or the like lying round have you?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Dreadlock based friction burn?

swingbing
    Free Member

^most plausible explanation so far^

No solvents or the like. Do have dot 5.1 in my avids, not been bled for a long time though.

oldnick

He hasn’t denied having Superstar brake pads…

lemonysam
    Free Member

LASER VISION?

swingbing
    Free Member

I have solved the Mystery.

Last week I had my chainstays welded. (doh!)

I’ll see if my girlfriend has any clear nail polish.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

But your chain stays are at the complete other end of the bike.

How did that happen?

swingbing
    Free Member

Sparks will also fly outside of STW

joat

Not done any welding then ashley?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Joat no I havent sorry!

But surely even if welding chain stays and sparks fly that’s quite a way for them to travel!

But having never welded before I would know! Just trying to understand how it happened. Next time I won’t say anything.

joat

No offence meant there ashley. Just a sarcastic way of giving an answer, I’ve used this forum for far too long. Hot little molten bits of metal can bounce all over the (work)shop when welding, probably a good lesson to anyone with delicate ‘plastic’ components when having welding work done.

swingbing
    Free Member

I should have known better as I have done a fair bit of welding. Thought the guy I took it too would have taken the initiative to cover up the rest of the bike. Well, actually I thought he probably wouldn’t but that it would be unlucky if something like this were actually to happen and hoped I’d get away without stripping most the bike.

Oh well. Not worth worrying about.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Carbon handlebars spontaneous combustion?!’ is closed to new replies.