Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Carbon full suspension ???
  • jdlang

What are the benefits (other than weight) of a full carbon frame on a full suspension bike with 5/6in travel ?

druidh
    Free Member

Stiffness
    Longevity

wwaswas

strength where it’s needed easily achieved by varying the lay-up.

tomaso
    Free Member

It won’t dent when whacked with a rock

bowglie

Stiffness – I demo’d the aluminium framed version of my FS bike, and then bought the carbon version. The difference in stiffness is very noticeable in corners or when chucking the bike around. The nice thing is that (with a well designed and manufactured frame) this increase in stiffness doesn’t come with additional harshness.

jdlang

What type of bike do you have… i was looking at the 2012 zesty 514

cinnamon_girl

Point it downhill and it will fly!

steezysix
    Free Member

It won’t dent when whacked with a rock

It will, however, shatter into a million billion pieces…

bowglie

What type of bike do you have…

Stumpjumper FSR.

FWIW, I had an ’11 Zesty 514 and didn’t really gell with it, but the geometry changes for 2012 look very promising – very similar figures to an Orange Five….which IME is probably good!

titusrider
    Free Member

Id say by saying apart from weight you are taking 90% of the decision out of the equation. Carbon is all about weight (in my head anyway!)

my mojo sl was deffo bought on achievable weight. That it is also stiffer than the equiv weight Alu is an added benefit 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

Weight, selective rigidity/suppleness (TM), no corrosion – all if the frame is designed well anyway.

FWIW, I’ve got a 2011 Zesty 714 and it’s the nicest thing I’ve ever ridden. Come from a carbon Whyte which kept snapping so fingers crossed with this one 🙂

xcentric
    Free Member

supposedly a better ride quality too – less of the harshness of aluminium, it damps out the worst. I can’t comment, as I’ve only had steel and carbon bikes – but with weight, strength, rigidity, ride quality, and so on it made the decision for me. Just had to find a decent deal to be able to afford it – was looking at the new Zesty since it became full carbon but found a great deal on my preferred bike – Ibis Mojo.

stumpy01

I had my 2010 Stumpjumper FSR alu frame replaced with the carbon version under warranty. Still has the alu rear end though.

I can’t detect any noticeable increase in stiffness. I was told it would be loads stiffer, but can I detect it? No.
    It is apparently 200g lighter, but came with the Brain gubbins so overall weight must be closer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Carbon full suspension ???’ is closed to new replies.