Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon frames and roof carriers.
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Is it a good idea to use on of those roof carriers that clamp onto the down tube if the bike is carbon?

scotroutes

Have you seen how thin alloy frame tubes are?

DickBarton

Seems to be fine…2 years with mine…

aa
    Free Member

did you buy the colnago?

Fwiw i wouldn’t attach on the roof it using the downtube. It’s asking for trouble. also, if i might be so brazen….dwarf….roof….surely a towbar is more economical, easier to access etc

bones76
    Free Member

Just wrap something like a cloth/innertube around the area where you clamp to the down tube with the roof carrier, this should prevent any rubbing of the frame!!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

aa – 😛

I’ll have you know i can lift my 33lb Wolf Ridge onto the car roof (its a small car!)
    Unfortunately the car has no towbar nor can one be fitted as it’s a Ford Ka!

PS. – Yes, bought the Colnago 8)

bones76
    Free Member

A man after my own hart who’s bike is worth more than his car!!! I like it…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It’s not even my car!
    It belongs to MsD – I don’t drive 🙂

TiRed

The racks that clamp a tube each side can do serious damage to almost any tube (including steel), as the leverage is very high. Thule 591’s hold rather than clamp the downtube with a fixed underside and a clamp onto the topside. I’ve been very happy to drive through France with my 800g carbon bling frame so attached at 80 mph.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I put my carbon road bike UK one for the first time at the weekend and it was fine.

My mate has used one on his Mojo SL for about 3 years now and that ain’t broke

Haze

No problems with the frame although you might expect the front wheel to flap around a bit, and if it’s not perfectly in line on the wheel tray it’ll wear a hole in the tyre.

Happened to one of our three down to France this year, the other two fork mounted carriers (561’s) were fine.

warns74
    Free Member

5 years with my carbon enduro on the roof with Thule 591. No issues.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frames and roof carriers.’ is closed to new replies.