Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • carbon frames
  • jacksprogis
    Free Member

Yes, they’re fine.

YT’s have the tendancy to snap though :lol:. Broke my tues as did a friend of mine.

My nomad gets all sorts of abuse, check my instagram out and see…
    https://www.instagram.com/jacksprogis/

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Compared to the impact manufacturing and proceeding of alloys?

Think that would be ‘6 of one compared to half a dozen of the other’ so to speak

Alloy can be recycled more easily and breaks down more easily.

Alloy hasn’t been implicated in lung disease.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Alloy can be recycled more easily and breaks down more easily.
    Alloy hasn’t been implicated in lung disease.

Carbon doesn’t involve stripped mining, doesn’t use a hideous amount of energy to turn into a useable product (or to recycle) and I think you will find that welding of alloys and the fumes which that entails is linked to lung disease including cancer

So 6 of one or half a dozen of the other?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Gases are a hell of a lot easier to deal with, dust…not so much…it gets everywhere. The word is, is that in general in China, carbon factories offer worse conditions for the workers.

So you can save maybe 200-300g off your frame weight and have a somewhat imperceptable increase in frame stiffness

sideshowdave
    Free Member

I’m not saying Carbon manufacturing is safe, environmental or health wise but from some who’s worked in alloy manufacturing I’m just pointing out its just as bad for workers and the environment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Alternatively I know a Lockheed engineer who thinks Carbon on MTB’s is a bit silly.

Well then it must be true…

LeeW

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Alternatively I know a Lockheed engineer who thinks Carbon on MTB’s is a bit silly.

Did he say why? I think a lot of things are silly but I wouldn’t expect anyone to base any of their decisions on my opinion.

nickc

today’s logical fallacy: Appeal to Authority.

When you do the full set, you get some nice glass tumblers. True story

Onzadog
    Free Member

What about chemical resistance? Can I still clean my drive train with deb jizer when it’s running on a carbon frame?

LeeW

I know someone who works for BAE who spilt some dot5 on his carbon bike frame. Just a couple of drops but it ate the resin away and turned the bike in to a pile of noodles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What about chemical resistance? Can I still clean my drive train with deb jizer when it’s running on a carbon frame?

Whats in the stuff? I treat my carbon frames no differently to any other bike I’ve owned. Wash with a normal stuff and all that.

Onzadog
    Free Member
    scotroutes

Surely the more carbon we tie up in bike frames the less CO2 there can be. Is this not a good thing?

Northwind

MAKE PENCILS NOT WAR

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have 2 carbon frames, one roadie and an xc bike

I have no fear in them breaking, whats the worse that will happen..it not as if the tubes will fall apart….

Carbon bars on the other hand, wouldn’t trust them with my life. I’d be forever paranoid after the smallest crash.

Northwind

I wasn’t paranoid about my carbon bars even after my bike fell off the gondola at fort william onto them. (I did badly bend a set of answer alu bars on my next visit, that sucked.)

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve only really encountered problems with Carbon when there’re bits of metal inserted in it.

I had the pedal threads on some carbon RF SixC cranks break away. I had the inserts on my SC Blur LTc the pivots screw into start to break away with circular cracks forming around them and the insert in my Bronson frame that the pivot axle screws into did something weird which resembled what happened with my RF cranks. I did break the down tube on the Blur by hitting a tree, but that would of killed any frame. I would still pick a carbon frame for my next bike without hesitation though.

I have no concerns about carbon bars. I’ve bent aluminium ones before and my carbon ones have more than convinced me they’re up to the job.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

This has proved it by the way.. 😉

Carbon deaths [100 %] vs aluminium deaths [28 %]

onewheelgood

But if you spell them both in American Carbon fiber deaths vs aluminum deaths

philjunior
    Free Member

I know aerospace engineers from a variety of companies that think carbon on an aircraft is a bit silly. And yet here we are, with ever increasing percentages of aircraft components made from carbon, and airframes getting lighter.

Like any material, as long as it’s designed with appropriate consideration, it’s fine. When designed appropriately with some excess strength for normal loading in order to put up with some unusual loading, it’s still lighter than aluminium.

The recycling issue does bother me, but that said you could always burn it to generate electricity (which you could use to make aluminium, perhaps.)

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.