Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • carbon frames
  • bigthorn
    Free Member

Are carbon mountain bike frames really ok (not going to crack or explode),do I just need to stop worrying whether to buy carbon and just “go for it” ?

rickon
    Free Member

It’s 2016. Yes. They’re fine. Stop worrying.

awh
    Free Member

I’ve done nearly 4500 miles on my carbon Tallboy…

scotroutes

If you’re going to worry about it, don’t buy one.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d rather ride a carbon frame than alu, given the choice. It doesn’t fatigue.

bigthorn
    Free Member

Just an irrational distrust then, to be honest though I still don’t totally trust microwave ovens, ABS or satellite tv.I am going to have to find myself some “help” like a positive thinking book or such.

scotroutes

How are you with WiFi and artificial sweeteners?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Watch this and worry not!

[video]http://youtu.be/xreZdUBqpJs[/video]

bigthorn
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    How are you with WiFi and artificial sweeteners

Hmm makes you think/worry a bit, where do these thoughts come from. Normally I would say I’m very rational would laugh at the wacky conspiracist on here like jivehoneyjive…….. actually maybe it’s me that’s deluded!!

maxtorque

2003 called and they want their thread back……… 🙂

scotroutes

Some of those are brilliant 😉

I especially like this one

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

bigthorn
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member
    2003 called and they want their thread back……… ?

And still there is no agreement …oh hang on where am I posting this

fibre
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 frames break over the years, both alloy. Not had any issues with carbon, even when using my XC hardtail inappropriately. I even managed to bend an Xfusion dropper post on a bad landing (slipped pedal), I was expecting to find cracked carbon but it was fine.

Only issue with carbon is deep scratches or direct impact from crashes, In terms of taking load forces it’s very good (like in the video^).

Just don’t buy crap carbon…. crap things are crap 😛

pipiom
    Free Member

Just make sure you protect the BB end (Rockguardz etc)

jamj1974

Over 10k miles on my 2007 S-Works Enduro. No cracks, no chips, no creaks.

Northwind

fibre – Member

crap things are crap

aracer
    Free Member

I wonder if we’ve ever done this before?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/carbon-frames

hairyscary

This was a little concerning for a slow speed crash.

It was replaced under warranty even though I crashed and admitted I’d crashed.

aracer
    Free Member

Was that an impact directly onto the frame?

hairyscary

Front wheel dropped into a hole going down a 15%’ish gradient at about 10mph. I knew the crash was coming so was already preparing to go over the bars. About half way through the crash I heard a strange tearing noise which turned out to be the frame falling apart.
    To be fair I’ve also cracked a lot of aluminium frames, but never ‘catastrophically’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To be fair that could have done the same to a metal frame. What was the bike?

scotroutes

Broken

hairyscary

Whyte 146.
    I have crashed harder on other bikes in a similar fashion and not managed this. Maybe it was just the ‘perfect’ crash 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Could be, take a look at the video above its the sort of crash they are testing for. The carbon was stronger than the alu.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

i wouldn’t worry about it. by being a fat talentless knacker who’s ambition frequently overtakes his skills, i’v broken a couple of aluminium frames in my time. since having my carbon nomad i’ve had bigger crashes / cased things harder / generally had an undeserved air of confidence which has led to the bike having a very hard time and it’s survived with no more than a few surface scratches.

what seems to happen with carbon is you get a catastrophic failure or snap (rather than the frame creasing on alu), but the forces needed to achieve that failure means you are probably dead form the crash already so don’t worry about it!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you’re going to have a significant crash then you’re probably just as likely to break a metal frame as you are a carbon one. The problem with carbon is that if you have a crash and there is no visible damage, will you fully trust the frame? I know people with carbon bars that have just failed out of the blue probably because the stem bolts were slightly overtightened, but there was no warning before they simply completely snapped in two. The failure mechanism of carbon is different to metal and you are more likely to suffer a catastrophic failure than with metal that will most likely yield and more likely to show signs that there has been some plastic deformation.

I love that SC video, but it’s not really particularly representative of real world crashes. I suspect if you were actually on a bike and took a direct strike halfway up the downtube at speed against the edge of a rock the it would snap in two, just as it would with a metal bike. It’s like F1 suspension struts – they’re strong in the direction they’re designed to withstand forces, but not particularly strong if the force comes in from a different direction.

I personally would buy a carbon frame if I had the cash, but I would be more concerned about abrasion damage from things like bike racks and rubbing up against things. I think i’d feel like I’d have to treat it with more kids gloves than a metal bike, not just because it is twice the price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think i’d feel like I’d have to treat it with more kids gloves than a metal bike, not just because it is twice the price.

I did a standard helitape cover of the contact points – do that on all the bikes since I nearly killed an old Heckler with cable rub. It’s fine, some scuffs and stuff but all in for the riding I’m doing it’s better than most alu fre#ames I’ve ridden.

I suspect if you were actually on a bike and took a direct strike halfway up the downtube at speed against the edge of a rock the it would snap in two, just as it would with a metal bike.

That would be a very special crash…

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem with carbon is that if you have a crash and there is no visible damage, will you fully trust the frame?

My road frame’s got cable-rub gouges and a fairly decent chunk taken out of the chainstay from tyre rub sustained on its very first ride, in 2007…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I spent all of last summer crashing my carbon bike in Whistler. The bike ended the summer in much better condition that I did…

1-shed
    Free Member

Flaky new age response is do you connect to a carbon frame emotionally in the same way as say a steel one? I had a carbon road bike and felt nothing for it despite it being more efficient, better? I relate and put value in a lump of metal that I don’t into carbon. Flame away. Cheers 1 shed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Flaky new age response is do you connect to a carbon frame emotionally in the same way as say a steel one?

It’s a bike, I like them but not in that way….

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve a set of long travel carbon forks (RC41F) that I have crashed so hard I pulled the wheel mount bit off the carbon, bit of glue and they are fine.

I’ve a 2004 carbon frame I’ve drilled on the downtube to fit a reverb stealth and that’s still working perfect.

I’ve a set of RC40acam forks that I’ve crashed a bazillon times and they are still fine and I have a now virtually retired set RC36 forks on the wifes bike that are ancient and still fine.

I weigh 100kg and I love carbon.

Northwind

hairyscary – Member

Whyte 146.
    I have crashed harder on other bikes in a similar fashion and not managed this. Maybe it was just the ‘perfect’ crash

Nothing to do with carbon and everything to do with that particular bike, tbh- I think they all broke. (mate of mine got through 3 frames before they got the fixed version out)

hairyscary

This is the fixed version……it was a warranty replacement for another ‘fixed’ one 🙂

mccraque

I’ve cracked 3 aluminium frames at welds in 2 years and my two carbon bikes are still going strong.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Alternatively I know a Lockheed engineer who thinks Carbon on MTB’s is a bit silly.

There is also the environmental and health impact to workers to consider – Commencal don’t make carbon frames due to both of these issues.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

There is also the environmental and health impact to workers to consider

Compared to the impact manufacturing and proceeding of alloys?

Think that would be ‘6 of one compared to half a dozen of the other’ so to speak

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.