Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon Frame V's Thule Ride on 3
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

I am a little nervous about using my bike rack with the new bike.

I have a Scott Scale carbon and a thule ride on 3, which is a tow bar mounted rack with straps for the wheels and a strap around the seat stay for stablility.

If I use some pipe lagging to protect the frame surely the straps are not going to damage the frame like some of the roof mounted carriers?

When posible I just put the bike in the back of the car. but the little one and MRS will want to come out with me soon now the weather is better

Advice please.

warton
    Free Member

you are worrying if a fabric strap will damage a bike you are going to use to ride off road? what do you think carbon is, soft cheese?

FWIW I’ve put my carbon road bike in those roof carriers loads of times, tightened up the clamp very tight with no issues. The forces created by you riding it are 100’s of times greater than a clamp…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I use pipe lagging to avoid the rub from straps and the over clamping thing

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jairaj

ermm .. as above what kind of damage are you trying to avoid?

If its just scratches and frame rub then a bit of helitape around the crap area will be the best solution.

ljs1977
    Free Member

Compression damage, squishing the frame.

there has been numerous posts about Carbon frames receiving “wrong” type of forces.

Just asking – sorry

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is an issue with over clamping (bike stand and hanging racks) but not from restraining AFAIK

faz083
    Free Member

OOOh yeah I would be really worried TBH.

Not.

Look at this video.

1. you aren’t putting it in a vice
    2. even if you were, this bike is fine
    3. mtfu

ljs1977
    Free Member

Cheers guys for your advice.

jairaj

Surely any issues caused by over clamping is a user error? You just need it tight enough to stop the bike swaying about on bumps. It doesn’t need need to pass a deflection test from being hit by a car.

eg theoretically you can clamp the bike by hand to stop it being bumped about. Which wouldn’t cause any damage to the bike. So just use a similar amount of clamping force with the mechanical clamp too?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Frame V's Thule Ride on 3’ is closed to new replies.