Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Carbon frame repair
  • large418
    Free Member

After a bit of chainsuck on my carbon mtb, I think the frame is cracking on the chainstay right by the chainsuck damage. The gel coat is lifting a fraction. So, rather than scrap the frame ( it’s a Planet X Dirty Harry), I will try to get it repaired. There’s a carbon fibre repair place in daventry, (which is close to where I live), has anyone used them?

Any better places in the Midlands that people know of?

Thanks everso

stuey
    Free Member

I’ve sawn up a C456 ( for a carbon project) – the chain stays were very thick in the ‘chainsuck’ area – I’d be surprised if a little ‘gel coat lifting’ means you’ve done anything structural.

How much are they charging? A DIY patch and resin should be very reasonable (£15-£30).

oliverracing

How much are they charging? A DIY patch and resin should be very reasonable (£15-£30).

I Would agree, DIY is often the best and cheapest option, easy composites do some great beginners kits and all else that is needed is some compression/electrical tape to compress it and some sandpaper to key the area. Watch their videos as they are pretty comprehensive (this one is how to repair a fishing rod but it’s a similar concept)

Edit: this kit seem like a better bet for a bike repair

large418
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks for that link, have ordered a repair kit. It’s worth a shot at a DIY solution as it’s not exactly a boutique frame.

swanny853

Girlfriend got a cracked seat tube repaired here- carbon repair

Repainted to match, even with the before photo I couldn’t see the repair at first. Very impressed.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I repaired a C456 and am still alive!

andyl
    Free Member

I very much doubt it is gelcoat. More likely lacquer/paint. I’d carefully take it back with some wet wet’n dry and examine it further. If you start to see a whiny-dull effect with the water on the surface then you are going a bit far and hitting the fibres.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frame repair’ is closed to new replies.