Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • carbon frame headset grease?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I need to fit a headset into a scott addict.

the swing ticket on the frame says dont use regular grease as it can damage the carbon. used scott or ritchey carbon grease

but I have read that carbon grease is a no no unless its carbon on carbon – due to its gritty composition

hmmm

johnnystorm

Carbon paste is to increase friction, is that what you want? FWIW I put the headset dry into my CR1-SL.

eshershore
    Free Member

typical procedure in my workshops (Specialized Covent Garden, Sigma Sport, Specialized Kingston, Giant Docklands):

-carbon head tube with carbon seats would be wiped clean with iso alcohol and bearing placed directly onto the CF seats.

Any metal parts fitted above or below the bearings (compression wedge ring for upper, and crown race for lower) would get a thin smear of Shimano anti-seize

-carbon head tube with aluminium alloy cups / seats would be wiped clean also with iso alcohol and then a good smear of Shimano anti-seize between the seat and the metal bearings, and also on the metal parts fitted above or below the metal bearings.

we only use carbon fibre assembly paste for CF seat posts, CF handlebar stems / CF bars or similar applications. Certainly not where a bearing is rotating.

sefton
    Free Member

its just for the metal headset cups.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘carbon frame headset grease?’ is closed to new replies.