Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon frame anti chain suck protection
  • servo
    Free Member

I have a Whyte carbon 29er and the stick on aluminium plate behind the chainset on the chainstays has been chewed up.

Anyone have any ideas where I can buy a generic type that I can cut to fit?

Anyone know what they are called?

Cheers

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Don’t know the answer, but when I had an issue with my Whyte I submitted a question using the support form on their website and got an answer within an hour or two.

Might be worth asking there and perhaps they’ll just send you one?

servo
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. I am on my second one actually. I had a lot of problems with the chain dropping because the front mech was set too high. It is a direct mount and the sram mech was set as low as it could go. changed it for an XT one and it has been OK. Whyte did give me a new one then but they are actually £15!

There must be a generic part or sheet of the stuff.Only a thin piece of aluminium with a sticky pad.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Was it a Whyte 29C? Must check mine, although I’ve got an XT front mech and not had many problems.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You can buy small sections of aluminium sheet off of Flea Bay, I’ve used these guys before SGS Metals. User name “sgs132”

Bonding ally can be a pain,

Sikaflex EBT bonds it well and is very flexible, although a big tube (300ml cartridge) for what you need.

High grab and slow cure so don’t expect super glue performance. Usual surface preparation, key the back surface of the ally first, wipe with alcohol, etc

wiggles
    Free Member

Bar tape…

firestarter
    Free Member

I always use a split inner tube wrapped round easy and cheap

rickmeister

Cut up a coke can ?

andyl
    Free Member

Aluminium, coke can, tape etc all useless against proper chain suck.

You need stainless or titanium if going for a plate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frame anti chain suck protection’ is closed to new replies.