Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Carbon fork steerer Question
  • cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

I want to fit a carbon fork to my CX bike and I currently run a stack of spacers that easily exceeds the 40 mm stack height recommended for carbon forks and wondered if anyone has run a carbon fork with more than the 40 mm without any probs ? Also if anybody has tried to fit a crown race using the compression action of the top cap on the stem and spacers or is that just a dumb idea ?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Crown race idea probably wouldn’t work – you’d either strip the thread on the top cap or it’ll pull the star fangled nut (or equivalent out) even if you could get it to push the race on squarely.

Get a hacksaw, cut a slot in the crown race – it’ll seat on easily, and pop off quickly too if required. Never had a problem doing that with any headsets if you clean the edges of the cut.

wwaswas

you need a different stem, not more spacers. There’s some fairly steep angled ones out there so you shoudl find somethign to put the bars where you want without having a huge stack of spacers.

Don;t use the headsaet to fit the crown race. Either cut slot as above or use a bit of vacuum cleaner tube etc.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

iam going to fit a 0 rise stem but dont want to go + on the rise cus it would make the bike look shite ! whore’ish i know but its got to look right ! I like the cutting the race never thought of that i’ve not removed the fork yet though so it might be split anyway 🙄

wwaswas

iam going to fit a 0 rise stem but dont want to go + on the rise cus it would make the bike look shite

I’m not sure lots of spacers is an aesthetic win either, tbh;

trail_rat
    Free Member

trying to use the headset to fit the crownrace will trash your bearings ….

never underestimate the stupidity of ridin a bike that looks aesthetically pleasing but is infact ruining your ride 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Carbon fork steerer Question’ is closed to new replies.