Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon for a commuter?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new c2w bike. I’ve got two main options right now – both are more than allowed so I’d be topping up. Basic componentry on the builds is near identical.

One, the cheaper as it happens, is full carbon. The other is Alu with carbon fork and spendier wheels.

I’m not expecting carbon to magically explode because it’s not racing or anything, I’m just wondering how wise it is for a bike I plan to ride most days on all weathers, and if there’s anything specific about living with one as a daily ride rather than cherished steed I need to be aware of.

Trying to keep fine detail out of the thread, but incase they’re relevant to comment /opinion, the carbon is Merlin and the Alu Kinesis, and it’s nearly a third more which isn’t inconsiderable.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

For me the ability to fit proper full length mudguards is a must on a commuter bike.

amedias
    Free Member

I’m just wondering how wise it is for a bike I plan to ride most days on all weathers

well assuming there’s no functional difference between them, ie: same tyre clearances, ability to fit proper full-length fixed guards (and rack* if you need it?), gearing etc. then there’s not really much in it from a materials POV. All-weather is not really an issue, carbon won’t dissolve in water, and although it can be more susceptible to cable rub issues, Alu isn’t exactly immune to that and I’d assume you’ll protect accordingly with either.

The big issue for me would be where it’s left during the day… in a rack/shared area with other people knocking it about, dropping locks/other bikes on it, then I would be thinking twice about carbon, it’s not that it isn’t strong, it’s that that kind of awkward impact damage and scraping can do funny things to it sometimes, and I’d be more precious about a carbon bike getting damaged like that if I’d spent more on it.

If you have a nice safe place to store then it wouldn’t bother me using carbon as an everyday commuter, whichever you go for make sure it’s appropriate for the actual use it will get, not the use you wish it got 😉

*I’m always wary of racks carrying any decent amount of weight on Carbon bikes, unless specifically designed for it, as the loads can be exactly the kind that carbon isn’t designed for!

vincienup
    Free Member

Thanks so far, the bike storage bit is what was worrying me a bit, although my current steel CX has survived three years there and taught me where rubs might happen.

I may be odd in this, but racks and guards aren’t even on my radar. I obsessed about them last time and always wear a pack as it’s easier and threw the sks Chromoplasts away in a fit of rage after coping with them for a few weeks. It was the rattle and splat every time I hopped off stuff…

amedias
    Free Member

Racks vs backpack are always contentious/personal so fair enough just use what works for you, but proper guards shouldn’t rattle. When they’re fitted properly they don’t move at all and become invisible, just with the added benefit of keeping you dry and clean 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

This was an older disc CX design and while there were mount points for the guards they didn’t really meet up with reality once you took BB routed front mech cable and outside of triangle chunky disk caliper into account. The back wasn’t really the issue though (once I’d lovingly modified the stays and made standoffs for it to clear the caliper), the front – which was properly mounted per instructionshad enough give to make ‘you should check your tyre…’ type splatting noises when the wheel hit the ground again. I figured it was inherent flex in the the Chromoplasts. I know asking round LBS’s and on here the general feel was that there was Art to getting guards on a disc bike.

Anyway, it’s not much of an issue as I keep an asssaver on the saddle this time of year and my mud splattered face amuses my colleagues at times. I might be more concerned about guards if there was not shower facility here 😉 There’s always Raceblades if I change my mind, or again the more expensive Aluminium bike i’m considering has all the mounts anyway.

I honestly don’t get the bag debate but I’m aware there is one.

My last c2w bike has done so much more than the daily grind – at one point I was all set to ditch the mtb’s and fit a dropper to it… I’m hoping that I’ll get similar use out of this one and that’s really where it gets odd once the daily damage potential is out of the way. I expect that the Alu Kinesis will just eat up whatever I can throw at it. I’m a bit less sure about the carbon Merlin although I know they do generally have a good name for their own bikes too. It’s just a weird choice when the metal one is the more expensive option!

So, the consensus so far seems to be that carbon would be fine so long as it doesn’t take any large accidental point loads while parked?

Garry_Lager

Having to park it up would makes it a non-starter for me.
    I occasionally take in my Al cross bike (in place of the regular pompino), and that’s taken some dings in the bike shed over a very short time period. A carbon bike would get hammered over time.

Saying that, my bike shed is full of student mings who know (and care) nothing about bikes. If it was a more civilised set-up it might be OK.

chakaping
    Free Member

My winter bike is (cheap) carbon.

Takes full guards and has seen me through two winters and all my wet rides with zero problems.

It was cheaper than a Kinesis alu frame though and I’m not certain it rides any nicer.

vincienup
    Free Member

Bike store at work is an open covered area with lockup Hoops. There’s four clear slots and it’s very rarely for there to be more than three bikes including mine. On the rare sunny days in summer there might be extras but there are other places including a frowned upon but possible balcony where I tend to keep my mtb if I’m planning to ride after work.

Chapaking, do you have experience of the Crosslights? I’m not planning this to be only a commuter although I’ve no plan to race Cross, I do plan to tackle most bits of the Peaks so ride quality might well be the decider. The Alu Kinesis is nearly a third more than the cheap carbon Merlin, but if I just wanted a pub beater there are much cheaper ways than topping up a maxed out c2w voucher…

eshershore
    Free Member

I’d never leave a carbon bike in a publicly accessible bike storage area / racking

seen too many customers bikes damaged over the year, typically bent hangers / derailleurs but also a good number with cracked seat stays, cracked top tubes from people forcing their bikes against an already parked bike, or dropping their bike against a parked bike

chakaping
    Free Member

Chapaking, do you have experience of the Crosslights?

no, but I’m sure some on here will have – might be worth another thread

vincienup
    Free Member

Probably wise 🙂 I’m getting close to talking myself into the expensive option just for a change and wallet is wondering why I want to spend an extra £300 something heavier.

I’m not seeing damaged hangers etc as a carbon problem tbh. The worst I’ve had in three years is odd random scuffing from blowing a bit rattling the bike against the staple. I’ve got this now and would tape these contact points on any bike I was leaving there. My current bike has sexy gaffa tape in a strip on one fork leg and an offcut of bartape around the seat tube/top tube joint. I do worse damage crashing…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon for a commuter?’ is closed to new replies.