Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Carbon Dioxide emissions
  • marcus
    Free Member

I’m having some building works done at the moment and noticed that the bags of cement the builders are using include information on the carbon dioxide ‘footprint’on the bag. 20kg of Co2 for each 25kg bag of cement. I was really surprised (and felt a bit guilty)by this seemingly large amount of co2, especially when I think how many bags have been used just on my small extension.

bearnecessities

You monster.

retro83
    Free Member

Plus the co2 from the transport, methane from your builders guffing etc. 🙂

marcus
    Free Member

Bear – Ive got a reasonably ‘polluting’ car which often attracts negative comments / feelings. The co2 emmissions from it probably pale into insignificance though when compare to the amount of c02 released from the cement ive just used though.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s well known – making cement is one of the worst things we do for creating CO2. Now take a look around any town or city and see how much concrete is used in building it…

Bear – Ive got a reasonably ‘polluting’ car which often attracts negative comments / feelings. The co2 emmissions from it probably pale into insignificance though when compare to the amount of c02 released from the cement ive just used though.

Yes but you have a very easy choice to make when you buy a car. It’s not so easy to choose how the buildings in which we work were built. And concrete may be one of the main sources, but transport is one of the other main sources.

EDIT Cement is one of the biggest single industries, but “only” 5% of global CO2 emissions: http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/05/09/emissions-from-the-cement-industry/

5thElefant
    Free Member

So you’re the one we need to thank for the warm weather? Keep up the good work.

marcus
    Free Member

Mol – I work in civil engineering so have a direct input into how much concrete / cement is used in buildings / infrastructure as well. – I just didnt realise the co2 from cement was THAT bad. Whilst the industry is moving in the right direction, I still think there are many areas in development where huge volumes of concrete could be saved.

marcus
    Free Member

Oh and the car isn’t that bad because it sits on the drive most of the time

molgrips
    Free Member

I still think there are many areas in development where huge volumes of concrete could be saved.

I hope so. Interesting to hear it from the practical side.

philjunior
    Free Member

Oh and the car isn’t that bad because it sits on the drive most of the time

And, as a percentage, how much of the emissions associated with the car do you think went into manufacture and how much will be from driving it? (I used to use this justification when driving an older car with relatively poor fuel consumption)

nickjb
    Free Member

One of my Grand Design pet hates. “Were building an eco home” “First we tear down this usable but ugly house then fill the hole with a hundred tonnes of concrete, you know, for the thermal mass and underfloor heating”

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Think how much cement is used in the bases of all those wind turbines that are designed to reduce CO2 emissions….

Rockhopper
    Free Member

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I susect that as the notice on the side of the bag of cement said ‘Carbon Footprint’ then that would imply it includes the total impact of that back of cement, so the manufacture of the cement, transportation of and the CO2 released when it is going off and setting.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Think how much cement is used in the bases of all those wind turbines that are designed to reduce CO2 emissions….

Crap argument, the turbine can become neutral or negative over its lifetime unlike fossil fuels.

molgrips
    Free Member

Compared to a coal power station, a building, a bridge…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And then there’s the steel rebars, and the bricks…

slackalice
    Free Member

Quick fact time 😀

The building of the Hoover Dam generated more CO2 than modern day USA does now over a ten year period.

Horrible stuff and yet we seem to worship it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just as well the Colorado river basin is mostly arid desert at that point, had it been particularly temperate the methane generated by anaerobic decomposition would have been quite sizeable.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Dioxide emissions’ is closed to new replies.