Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Carbon cranks – ok for big fat clumsy heffers? Your opinions please
  • binners

I'm considering splurging on some carbon cranks.

I know its probably irrational, but I'm still a bit dubious about carbon as opposed to metal things. As you've probably guessed, I'm not an engineer.

So.. seeing as I'm hardly dainty and petite, and I ride with the grace and elegance of a 3-legged giraffe. And I tend to hit every rock within striking distance, hurl my bike down various trails on every ride, and break things… A LOT!

Whats the opinion of the STW massive? Will I break them? Or are they as strong and durable as, say, a set of XT cranks?

binners

Hmmmmmm. I seem to have found a subject no-one has an opinion on. A first round these parts

clubber
    Free Member

Plenty of opinions just it's all been done before…

I wouldn't but more because unless you buy silly expensive ones there's rarely any advantage over alumninium so why bother?

FWIW, I've broken a couple of sets of alu cranks where they've fatigued from the point of a a dent caused by a rock interface.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

I bought some second hand Truvativ Noir cranks.
    They lasted about a year before one of the pedal inserts came loose.
    100kg, fast XC use.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Could you get metal ones, and then stick carbon-effect stickers on them? 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

And had you been the original owner that would've been a warranty issue.

I wouldn't not use them, but I wouldn't specifically look out for them. Make sense!? Some of the chainsets in the FSA sale on On-One look pretty amazing!

firestarter
    Free Member

ive had a set of carbon fsa team things on my full sus for about 2 years maybe three they look in better nick than any crank ive had that old before. got a few marks on from rock strikes but nowt major . i like them and would buy again if i had the money (if / when they wear out)

Bream
    Free Member

And had you been the original owner that would've been a warranty issue.

I had the same problem with my 1st pair of FSA Megas and FSA replaced them even though I wasn't the 1st owner of the bike they came on! 😉

Like these:

However, I'm unsure to whether I would actually pay RRP for another pair 😕 Yes they are pretty but not convinced they are that much better in terms of performance etc over say XTR….

But then again, they are pretty 8)

njee20
    Free Member

That was my point. If the crank I wanted was carbon, then I'd get it, but I certainly wouldn't pay extra for a carbon crank, as you say XTR is as light as most of them.

The problem does seem to usually be the pedal inserts weirdly.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never done that with an alu crank. Done it with 2 carbon ones though. Also never looked so geeky again since I saw this photo, I don't think.

whytetrash

Got a set of FSA's like Bream above 3yrs on bit scruffy, lots of rock strikes but solid still, I'm over 14stone kitted up…ride it once or twice a week….would defo buy again, have seen them for circa £175 with bb can't recall where though…bit more interesting than XT which are as common as muck…bike snob and don't care!

Dylan08
    Free Member

Chubbies and carbon shouldnt mix!

grumm
    Free Member

I know its probably irrational

Yes it is irrational to want some carbon cranks. 😛

Bream
    Free Member

My old ones, this was from June 08, replacements have been perfect thus far, aparently the early FSA carbon cranks were prone to this problem but meant to be fixed now. Been great for me since 8)

Bream
    Free Member

BTW – I'm not really that chubby at 6'2" & 80kgs 😆

fbk
    Free Member

I've had carbon cranks for a while now – FSA again. I too had the dodgy pedal thread insert problem with them coming loose. All replaced under warranty without a problem and the new ones are fine.

They do start looking a bit battered after some ground contact but no worse than alloy ones.

Oh, and I'm around 14 stone and don't hold back on DHs 🙂

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

I went through this phase with carbon forks on my road bike. Every descent and every bit of bumpy rd, I was fondling for my prayer beads! Nothing ever happened, of course but to lash out on something that a decent rock-wallop could turn into bin fodder …. 😕

njee20
    Free Member

of course but to lash out on something that a decent rock-wallop could turn into bin fodder ….

Presumably you mean splash out? Surely that's the case for everything though, including alu cranks. If you don't like carbon road forks then surely you're very limited in half decent forks that don't weigh 5lbs.

CK that photo appears to be rather old, and I would hope carbon technology has moved on a fair bit in that time!

james-o
    Free Member

hollow alu can be lighter and stiffer than carbon anyway – shimano have done a lot of testing in this area.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its amazing, Brant's carbon forks are held in high regard,

Everything else carbon is the devils own dildo?

How can one man in a shed's product be that much better than anything made by huge companies?

clubber
    Free Member

I've broken aluminium cranks just like the carbon ones pictured above but anyway…

Carbon forks tend not to get hit by rocks/etc in the same way as cranks. If they did then there might be an issue though that would also be true of lightweight steel or aluminium ones.

marsdenman
    Free Member

My Bontrager (=truvativ?) stuff held up ok with me. Cica 17st 'riding weight' – only jaycore xc riding though.
    I said 'held' because they died – but that was due to granny ring bolts dropping out and battering the thread on the way – but that's my fault for shonky maintenance…. really wanted to replace them with carbon but funds are tight so opted for SLX…

The geeky bit = weighed both before fitting the SLX – the Bontys are only 80 grams lighter, whereas the SLX are considerably lighter on your pocket…..

tinsy
    Free Member

brant did a fantastic bit of marketing with the forks, by showing the full test and results sheet online so there was no question of strength of the fork.

Sound's like the cranks all have a great warranty, give them go if it floats your boat.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I've had a set of FSA carbon pro's on one of my bikes for nearly 5 years – they look tatty, clearcoat has plenty of chips on, they've had plenty of rock hits and they are still going strong – no problem recommending them.

Rich

br
    Free Member

I've had an XTR M960 175mm crankset for nearly 4 years now, currently running Middleburn rings, a Hope ceramic BB and full titanium bolts – weighs 805g all in (including the BB) – is carbon lighter?

ilikebikes
    Free Member

Hope so I put some Team FSA cranks on mine a couple of weeks ago, and I am errr "well built" 😕

Bream
    Free Member

b r, yes it can be lighter if that's exactly what your after, but the cost per g starts to get rather high 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I've trashed the pedal inserts on two FSA carbon cranks. Both have been replaced by windwave without question. Great service from them. Hunt around for a deal on them. Well worth it I'd say.

br
    Free Member

Bream

and as strong?

and how much more…

Bream
    Free Member

and as strong?

Probably.

and how much more…

If you have to ask you can't afford etc.. 😉

Race Face Next-SL Carbon Triple = claimed weight 695g (175mm) 8)

Pricetag £585 😯

coffeeking
    Free Member

njee20 – CK that photo appears to be rather old, and I would hope carbon technology has moved on a fair bit in that time!

2004. And I dont think there have been any large steps in techonology that I can think of. I'd try them again but I'd want a LONG warranty.

br
    Free Member

But isn't that 695g without BB, so no lighter than my old XTR's?

organic355
    Free Member

whats that cap/cover around the end of the crank arm on the raceface?

Dougal
    Free Member

whats that cap/cover around the end of the crank arm on the raceface?

To stop the carbon being scratched/chipped/broken by rocks. To me that is the ultimate proof that even the manufacturers just do carbon for looks.

Bream
    Free Member

But isn't that 695g without BB, so no lighter than my old XTR's?

Nope, that includes the BB apparently 😉

njee20
    Free Member

THM-Claviculas, 440g for cranks/BB, generally around 550g with TA rings. £700 + rings.

To be honest, now XTR is so expensive there are other carbon options out there that probably weigh less and cost less.

There are other alu cranks lighter than XTR too, Tune spring to mind.

Bream
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…. Claviculas :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

Quite!

I would love a pair of the 'DP' version, but they've been pretty stupid IMO by keeping it as a standard BCD, thus meaning you can't really use less than a 32t inner ring without filing down your £700 cranks!

Bream
    Free Member

Get the file out 😯 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Did on 2 pairs of XTRs and my S-Works ones, but neither had a carbon spider, something about filing carbon is just a bit wrong.

Allegedly THM-Carbones say it doesn't affect the warranty!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Carbon cranks – ok for big fat clumsy heffers? Your opinions please’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts