Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Carbon chinese forks for 29er will I die
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

Need to look at making the El Marchini SS a bit lighter now I am in the Chilterns. Obvious first point is the forks, Ican do a tapered bolt through rigid for £90.00 🙂 anybody bought/used or know of anybody that has one ?

wwaswas

I’ve had one of these for a few months and it’s not broken yet.

http://www.flyxii.com/en/products/flx-fk-008-15mm-matt.html

get one of those carbon fork bung things that On-One do for their carbon forks.

jwh
    Free Member

Not used there forks – but have a set of ICAN’s 29er carbon wheels and frame and they are really good.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

wwaswas, did it come with a bolt through axle or did you use your existing one ?

nemesis
    Free Member

jwh – which ICAN model did you get?

wwaswas

It came with the axle.

the ‘nut’ isn’t captive in the fork it really is like a giant QR.

some more pics here;

http://s239.photobucket.com/user/LukeBurstow/library/Carbon%2029er%20Forks?sort=3&page=1

only thing it could do with is a second hose guide nearer the crown.

jwh
    Free Member

I got this frame
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Frame-29er-MTB-UD-Matt-Frame-Axle-142mm-135mmBB92-Tarpered-Headset-/121388033188?

you need to order the headset from them as well – as its a weird size.

and these wheels – which have worked as tubeless as well – once wrapped in duck tape.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121288209850

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks. My CX frame is from ICAN/Miracle and I’ve been considering one of their mtb frames so interested in any feedback you’ve got.

Rorschach
    Free Member

40mm offset though 😕
    Anyone found 48/50mm offset ones yet?

nemesis
    Free Member

Trying to remember now what’s standard for 29ers now – 43mm I thought but that’s on sus forks which are longer than rigid.

jwh
    Free Member

It ride’s great.
    I got the large – i’m just over 6 foot. with a 70mm stem at the moment and 100m forks.
    I used it with the 142 drop outs and to begin with i had to file the end bolt to get it to fit ( you get what you pay for ) but its worked really well and I’ve not had any further issues with it.
    The only thing at present is the internally routed cable rattles in the frame – but that’s a generic issues and not the frames fault.

I’ve used for racing ( first nutcracker the other week ) and local riding in Guisbrough woods – north yorkshire.

The frame weight was accurate – was about 1150g and the wheels were also about 1600g if i recall correctly

I don’t really treat my bikes very gently – but i’ve not broken anything in ages either.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

The fork offset on the mariachi is 45mm, how will a 40mm offset fork effect the ride etc of the bike ?

nemesis
    Free Member

Simplistically, 40mm will slow down the steering compared to 45mm so long as you’re talking about the same length fork.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Bollox, I love the way the El mariachi handles & wouldn’t wanna mess with it 🙁 seen the kinesis ix is 43. The whisky forks is 45 but I know whisky are owned by same company that owns salsa but the whisky is major £££

wwaswas

I went from a 140mm revelation to the carbon fork so for me the steering hasn’t changed that much, I suspect due to the reduction in fork height, even allowing for sag.

carbonfiend
    Free Member
    wwaswas

45mm+-2mm

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Oh that will work 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

carbonfiend, i have that fork on my 29er, so far its been great. 45mm offset and 480mm axel to crown. my setup uses a hope pic n mix external headset at the bottom of the frame so this adds 10mm which makes it perfect imo.
    the bolt through is much neater than wwaswas above and the right hand bolt is flush inside the fork with the qr on the left. very nice and stiff combined with superstar hubs and TL28 rims.
    absorbs the trail buzz too.
    the matt colour perfectly matches my alu cube frame, maybe next year ill get a carbon frame.
    606 grams with cut steerer on my scales with no bolt.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

T666DOM

I’ve never had a problem with any chinese carbon fork . I’ve had a flyxii 29er , cyclocross fork & fat bike fork, all have been spot on .

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Carbon chinese forks for 29er will I die’ is closed to new replies.