Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Carbon bikes. Is anybody else concerned?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I throw my carbon frame down some proper DH tracks and ride it as hard if not harder than my old aluminium bike. However for some reason I worry about it. I am worried about jumping on it in case I rip off the head tube when coming up short. I even made my mate put his bike in the car boot first as I was worried about the weight crushing my frame.

Now I know all of this is stupid but it is the first time I have had a plastic bike and can’t help worrying.

Does anybody else have these stupid concerns?

danbo
    Free Member

Nope, me and just about everyone i know ride carbon bikes hard and no issues.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Metal gives you signs of damage and hints of cracks etc. It gives you time to do something about it.

Plastic frames are sudden and unexpected.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Oh dear

thestabiliser
    Free Member

it’s always when you least expec..aaaaarrrrrrrggggggghghhhhhhhhh!!!!

iain65
    Free Member

Have a think about an F1 or Le Mans driver, do you think he would fancy going back to an Alu chassis? Probably not.

skolt
    Free Member

Don’t they melt if you leave them by a radiator or in a hot car?

Northwind

skolt – Member

Mine looked like it had, but it was just ugly.

br
    Free Member

Metal gives you signs of damage and hints of cracks etc. It gives you time to do something about it.

Eh? Alu not always…

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/passion/348072d1207018162-broken-handlebar-mtb-video-001.jpg

Is it Groundhog day?

I’m sure we had this thread a week ago…

Is it Groundhog day?

warton
    Free Member

Have you got scientific examples of this, maybe a paper? Or is it just a made up fact?

Is it Groundhog day?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a lightweight skimpy carbon road bike. It’s got nicks and scratches everywhere, and the wheel slipped in the dropouts once and the wheel rubbed a chunk out of the chainstay. That was 7 years ago, still going strong.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m not saying that it is rational, in just wondering if anybody else is as stupid as me.

Before I got a carbon frame I was fully convinced about how strong they are and how F1 uses carbon etc. Look at the videos that Santa Cruz and Cannondale have put out, carbon looks fantastic.

I know I am being thick and have nothing more to worry about than I used to but I can’t help it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Is it Groundhog day?

Apologies if it was done a week ago, I didn’t see it. And anyway, like groundhog day, the film, it’s the minor details that make it interesting.

tenfoot

I came off my carbon hardtail tonight. First time since I got it, last November. Gave it a good look over, but no damage obvious.

mokl
    Free Member

I think you’re being overly hard on yourself and are certainly not stupid – no shame in being concerned about your own safety and confidence in your bike is a big part of mtb. I must say that personally I would be more than happy to put my trust in a carbon frame, they’re extremely well developed now and have exceptionally good structural integrity.

andyl
    Free Member

Can’t tell if these are serious remarks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve seen dead Alu bikes but no carbon ones.

In the spirit of this thread that is FACT and carbon bikes cannot snap but Alu ones are fragile death traps.

pjm84
    Free Member

Nope because I don’t ride carbon anymore.

rickon
    Free Member

Is it Groundhog day?

Northwind

A white hole?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs[/video]

Santa cruz testing of carbon versus ally frames.

Its worth a watch, if you can’t be bothered to watch it all just skip to 5 mins and think what an ally frame would look like after been swung as hard as you could swing it in to a concrete block…

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s a mental thing. Get over it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My carbon bike is a Santa Cruz, so I’m not worried. If it was a Yeti, I would be worried.

kfish
    Free Member

I too would be concerned ‘re plastic v metal.got a carbon/ally roadie at present which.is a pure joy to skip around on along my local pothole riddled roads, it flies along, ahem, and softens all the bumps for me, as.soon as.I look at the plastic bits of the build I get this irrational paranoia of riding it again ffs. Can’t bring myself to buy the bargain carbon spesh enduro I’ve been viewing recently, because the irrational paranoia thing :-(.

I reason that it’s our ancient brains’ survival thing kicking in and saving us from the unknown, it got us this far, didn’t it?

stewartc
    Free Member

I actually managed to break my old Yeti SB66c frame, fell off down a trail and a sharp rock managed to put a small crack in the top frame (just before the seatpost). Didn’t actually notice this until a week later when a mechanic at my LBS pointed it out just before I had planned to sell it, long story short, had to pay for a crash replacement but that week in between I rode it as I usually did and I did not die.

I ride its replacement, a Mach6, just the same as all my previous bikes, carbon or alloy.

If you are wary of carbon or other exotic materials then probably better not to fly, or drive, or even ride a bike probably.

kayak23

I’ve got carbon bars
    In my carbon world
    Life in plastic
    Is fantastic

mindmap3
    Free Member

My Rune’s not that heavy you cheeky sod! Just because you’re plastic bike is sub 30lbs, so sent mean that my ali (fashion) bike will break yours in the car!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reason that it’s our ancient brains’ survival thing kicking in and saving us from the unknown, it got us this far, didn’t it?

It’s more that our adventurous minority paved the way for the timid majority. anyway it’s not carbon frames you need to be worried about it’s the big sea monsters and the edge of the world if you go to far.

Haze

What Kayak said ^

munrobiker
    Free Member

Iache- is it anything to do with that photo of my frame?

I’ve ridden mine harder than any other bike before, and the only frames I have broken in the past have been aluminium ones, not other carbon fibre ones. I have complete faith in carbon, and as my frame shows, IF they do crack then it’s not a case of bits of the frame falling away skewering your genitals on the shards, it cracks. Just like normal.

mashiehood
    Free Member

oh the merciful one, please save us!

On a serious note, have ridden carbon for years, no issues. My bike is now 80% carbon and the rest alu. A whole carbon bike (no alu in any components) cant come soon enough as far as i am concerned.

Nobby

My carbon bike is a Santa Cruz, so I’m not worried. If it was a Yeti, I would be worried

I cracked the alu front end of my AS-R, the carbon rear is still in perfect nick.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

A white hole?

so what is it?

I_Ache
    Free Member

mindmap3 – Member
    My Rune’s not that heavy you cheeky sod! Just because you’re plastic bike is sub 30lbs, so sent mean that my ali (fashion) bike will break yours in the car!

That is exactly the problem. You fashion bikers with your banshees and fluro helmets. I bet you wear your goggles with your open face helmet when I’m not around.

unrobiker – Member
    Iache- is it anything to do with that photo of my frame?

I don’t think so to be honest, I had forgotten you had done that. Have you got it all sorted now?

I think it is partially down to that it isn’t metal and partially the weight. It is the lightest proper mountain bike I have owned at 29lbs but I ride it the same as my last bike which was 35lbs. It seems like it should be fragile. Having said that it still feels solid and not at all fragile when riding. And I do have plans to make it lighter still.

I know it’s all in my head and I need to get over it.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bikes. Is anybody else concerned?’ is closed to new replies.