Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Carbon bars- stingy not to include paste
  • zer0cool
    Free Member

Just got my first carbon bars, I had a tiny hope a little sachet of paste may have been included. Of course it wasn’t, but now have to buy a tube to use a smear.
    Are there any alternatives that wont make me die?

shifter
    Free Member

No paste has worked for me, so far…

midlifecrashes

I believe the paste is normally included with the stem, like the lower headset race always comes with the forks…

superleggero
    Free Member

Carbon fibre assembly paste 10g for £3.89 (free p&p):
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/weldtite-TF2-Carbon-Fibre-Gripper-Paste-Carbon-Fiber-10g-pack-/152292435284?hash=item2375562554:g:0qsAAOSw4DJYgj0o

Larger tubes are better value in the long run however (£6.49 for a 50g tube on CRC).

For the sake if a few quid you have peace of mind…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Depends on the bars, I haven’t used carbon paste on bars & I’ve been running them for years, not dead yet & no nuns or kittens that I’m aware of have died due to my actions.
    I asked the question to Renthal late last year & they said it wasn’t required on theirs (having said that, I assume that’s if also running a Renthal stem)

Joe

Never used it. Not dead.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

like the lower headset race always comes with the forks…

😕

zerolight
    Free Member

You generally don’t need it on carbon bars as most come with a coated and roughed up center section for the stem. Your grips, brakes, etc don’t need much pressure to get a solid grip on the bars so you don’t need it there.

You shouldn’t put it on a carbon steerer either as it can get into the headset bearings and ruin them, and potentially cut I to the steerer.

Only place you really need the carbon paste is a seat tube in a carbon frame as the lower clamping pressure might result in post slippage under your weight. I also use it on my roadbike infinite angle seat post to stop it slipping nose down (or up).

Worth having a tube of paste though as it’s handy, cheap, and needs to be replaced from time to time in your seat post.

br
    Free Member

Do you get oil with a new chain?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Why would forks come with a crown race?

zer0cool
    Free Member

Thanks for the input all.
    The bars are Easton and it says apply some in the instructions.
    I’ll see if any of the guys I ride with have a bit I could grab, if not I’ll buy one of the the tubes Superleggero posted up.

zer0cool
    Free Member

br- Chains come lubed dont they, and ready to put straight on if you want, so yes you do get oil with a chain.
    The bars dont.
    Bad analogy.

a11y

Midlifecrisis – whoosh…

(or so I hope)

andyl
    Free Member

Personally I would rather they didn’t come with little sachets of grease. What if you need to take them off and swap them but you have used your sachet? Just buy some and use it in other places.

njee20
    Free Member

Or don’t bother?

I assume midlifecrashes was joking, but I’m worried not…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bars- stingy not to include paste’ is closed to new replies.