Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Carbon bars and clamping Torq
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’ve a problem with my carbon road bars in the stem. each time I hit a pot hole, especially down hill the bars move in the stem clamp with a sharp crack sound. Ive bought a new torque wrench from topeak last week and some carbon grease to try to stop this annoying ‘feature’
    clearly the bars don’t want to be over clamped so I followed the bars printed wrench settings using the wrench and added the grease. Last night I notices a small ridge has appeared close to the stem/bar area and kind of lost confidence in them.
    Clearly I’ve not followed something right and i’m going to need a new set or Aluminum bars but has anyone else had a problem with getting the bars tight enough but not TOO tight?

trail_rat
    Free Member

what part were the wrench settings on – the stem i hope.

because theres no such thing as a clamping torque imafraid.

a clamping force depends on the tollerances , the surface area and the force applied via the bolt.

So handle bars cannot have a torque value on them – how does the manufacturer know what stem your using.

The stem can have one as the designer knows what his clamp area is , his tollerance and the bolt size – to give a safe grip pressure for a given torque.

IME if you torque up to the torque value given on ANY ritchey componant – it WILL slip regardless of fibre grip etc.

Onto another point – carbon bars are less tollerant of point loads from sharp edged stems – which sadly even from high end manufacturers still exist due to manufacturing processes.

I tend to take sharp edges off with a light file before fitting with fibre paste and trying at the suggested torque – if it doesnt work i up it by a couple ft lbs till it does stay solid. Remember engineering process and fear of lawsuits means theres always a safety factor.

*Never had a carbon related failure – and have 3 almost all carbon bikes in the house.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Hum, no numbers on the Carbon stem anywhere. Just a figure on the middle of the bars. Upping the bolt torque on the stem resulted in the bars still slipping so perhaps it’s a lost leader. How carbon fails at such a critical part frightens me so I’ll ride better with metal parts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“How carbon fails at such a critical part frightens me so I’ll ride better with metal parts.”

badly designed anything will fail anywhere.

what brand are these componants. perhaps drop them a line and ask for advice.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Made by Ness and I got them from Planet x. I fear I may have answered my own question.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bars and clamping Torq’ is closed to new replies.